• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win98 not letting me manage swap

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stolid

I decided it was time to give my big server-cased desktop a makeover so I formatted up a bit, redid my Linux and decided to put Win98 back on.
When I was deciding how to partition, I had a stroke of thought. Since I had 2 hard drives on 2 seperate IDE cables I'd make each drive for an OS - *but* the outside tracks of each drive would be the other OSes swap file... Linux has no problems with this, Windows...er...
Well, basically, it reports the size and everything else correctly until I go to VM and tell Windows to let me manage it. First, it says the drive has 0 mb free... Then if I select it the max is the HDs max size, so I simply paste that to the minimum, hit okay, and tell Windows I know what I'm doing. Then reboot. Then go back to VM and it's back to Windows management... errg...

ideas?
Stolid

Try selecting just the partition but don't specify a min or max size. Let Win98 do that. If you set the max as the min, you might have confused 98 and it just defauted back to it's own root partition. If 98 says the partition is 0Mb, it isn't recognizing the partition and it won't write to it anyway. Is that partition formatted as FAT32?

It reads fine. Everything says it has 256 MB of space on that partition, which is FAT32, except the system tool to set swap space. The one place I need it to recognize that.

As for setting the max = min, that's relatively common. All that means is that the swap size is set and it will never go expand itself for more RAM.

Can you reload that part of 98 or is there an update/patch?

I haven't applied any updates after the initial win98se install and 98lite conversion. I had it swapping on another partition of the same HD. It barked when I tried to change it but it took. I went back to the root partition as it gave better performance.

Swapping on a differant HD is the best way to go. Almost like a 0 stripe RAID in a way.

If you get it to go, let us know how you did it.

I'm suspicious this is a 'set aside X space for safety' measure - the swap simply won't let you take up the whole drive... I'm going to try making the partition bigger - I'll keep you informed.

Back