• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suck or blow?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I would say blow air on. That always worked better for me (on a Duron 650, temps were 4 or 5C cooler when blowing).

David

i agree- but then again my brothers worked better when sucking-

Its a simple as try both and see which works best for you :D

hey, i'm wondering the same thing... i did a search on it last night but forgot the answer so i'll be lazy and post here.....i have the thermalright ax-7 and a thermaltake smart fan...so should my fan suck air away or blow air towards the heatsink? also, how loud is the smartfan if i cut off the thermal sensor?

hydrata said:
hey, i'm wondering the same thing... i did a search on it last night but forgot the answer so i'll be lazy and post here.....i have the thermalright ax-7 and a thermaltake smart fan...so should my fan suck air away or blow air towards the heatsink? also, how loud is the smartfan if i cut off the thermal sensor?

It should blow. Just for your information the AX-7 is the best heatsink to use with a low cfm fan bar none. I don't know how loud these fans are once you mod them but if it were me I would get rid of the sensor and if it's too loud for your taste use a retrostat

Mine blows (coolermaster HHC-01) but I also put a 80mm fan on the case door to blow air down onto the cpu/hsf area and I have a 60mm on the back of the case by the cpu blowing air out. I did try it exactly the opposite but I easily gained 6c.

Hey Wommalong, how loud is that HS with that fan? I'm trying to decide which Hs buy, but I hate the loud ones (just heard the volcano 6cu+, there is like a voice in my head) Im thinking between that one and the termalright slk600.

I'm using the retail Athlon HS:cry: (yes, the paperweight)

Kintaro Oe said:
Hey Wommalong, how loud is that HS with that fan? I'm trying to decide which Hs buy, but I hate the loud ones (just heard the volcano 6cu+, there is like a voice in my head) Im thinking between that one and the termalright slk600.

I wouldn't recommend a slk600 with a low cfm fan they need the high airflow.

I tried the fan both ways when I first installed my AX-7 and found that having airflow into the sink kept temps cooler by about 5-7 degrees C...
I am using the Antec Smart Fan (80mm) on mine and it is nice and quiet and the CPU is nice and cool...:D

Paging Dr. Freud :D

Uh . . . like Yodels said, it depends on the model. Heatsinks like the PAL 8045 and the Swifty MCX462 are designed so the fan should suck air through the HS. Heatsinks like the AX-7 are designed to blow air onto the HS.

:clap: :clap: :clap: ... but not spitting or swallowing.
It entirely depends on the heatsink.
Aluminum heatsinks generally like suck fans
Copper base heatsinks generally like blow fans to cool the copper
Futura

suck or blow this....

i bought a new case the other day, and i was really shocked to see i could place a fan next to the hard drives' I have two of them side by side in the lower box, Do I need the fan to blow on the hard drives into the case or suck the heat out, There are also the two fan in the back i have running to.....and thay suck
air out Here's a case like mine

thanks

Re: suck or blow this....

DevilMan24 said:
i bought a new case the other day, and i was really shocked to see i could place a fan next to the hard drives' I have two of them side by side in the lower box, Do I need the fan to blow on the hard drives into the case or suck the heat out, There are also the two fan in the back i have running to.....and thay suck
air out Here's a case like mine

thanks

leave them blowing in.generaly you want a close ratio of fans blowing in to fans blowing out.and with the 2 in back plus your p.s. thats 3 exaust.

although the alpha PAL8045 often works best sucking, and is often considered as being made with that purpose, it depends more than anything on the flow in the rest of the case.

so experiment around a bit with the case-fans. reverse the airflow, make all fans suck into the case, run the case open and some other combinations. note the temps and then turn the CPU-fan around, making all previous checkups.

have anyone heard of running the volcano7 sucking btw?

Kintaro Oe said:

Well firstly my fan is somewhat noisey as for which fan i would say the SLK600 here is an address where you can find out more about the SLK600... hope you find it useful

http://www.overclockers.com/articles532/

and here is an address for the volcano 6cu+

http://www.thermaltake.com/products/heatsink/v6plus.htm

now you may deceide
:)

Back