• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New System, need suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ghaz

I am planning on building a new system soon. I have decided that I am most likely going to go with two 2.2ghz Xeon proc's. I have always been an amd only man and need some suggestions on what mobo to use. I have never done dual proc, and havnt used intel cpus much. So first thing would be a good mobo suggestion. One that uses DDR ram and has built on raid, if possible. Also maybe a suggestion on video card. I am planning on going with a Geforce 4, whichever has the quickest clocked gpu and ram. I would like suggestions on this as well, which is the fastest so far? Planning on throwing in a gig or so of ddr, probably an audigy, burner, dvd player, etc. Any suggestions would be appriciated, I build a tight new system every year or year and a half, its time again.

I am not sure what will work best for me in this situation. Its going to be my personal computer. I will be running alot of games on there. Also several game servers, so I figured xeons may work for that application. If p4's would be better in this situation, then I may just go for those. All suggestions welcome, thanks.

go with a 1.8a or a 2.26b p4. xeons only if your trying some extravagant intel duallie and are willing to take out a second mortgage on your home.

damn that one [pricey] system you want to build. It should take care of what you want to do. Just wondering, do you have like a t1+ connection at your house or somthing to go along with kind of computing power?

Personally I don't agree with much youve said....just my opinion.

In my experience a dulie proc board wont give you much extra performance for games, or other computing needs at home.

Also the Xeon processors are way over priced and again, the benefit isnt much at all if anything to a gaming/home user machine. If you have that kind of cash to blow, get a new 2.66 ghz cpu with 533fsb....

Also again, if your looking to spend some money or have the money to spend, the new radeon 9700 is a kick a$$ video card and crushes the fastest nvidia board on the market. its retailing for about 350 -400$ But the nvidia Ti4600 is an incredible card itself. Either would be a good choice.

And lastly, for a board....erg...lol...well hard to give you advice on as I disagree with the xeon/dulie setup ... and the 2.66ghz chip hasnt been released yet but id grab a new abit or asus board for the 2.66ghz chip if you see one.

Good Luck, again thats just my opinion....the system you have listed seems more server based and not really a great machine for home.

:)

Okay, a couple things. Money is no object. I am going to have a 4mb connection installed in my house. Thats why I was thinking xeon procs, because I will be running a few game servers in the back ground. I will also be doing a fair amount of gaming, some graphic design etc. The 9700 would be cool, I may just wait for that. Planning on doing a 300 gig raid striped. 3 100 Gig drives, or maybe 4 or 5 80's. I may just end up going for a p4 proc. But the highest rated one is like 600+ atm. That would be stupid to spend that much on a proc. I really would like a suggestion on a proc with built in raid that will work with dual procs. If anyone has a suggestion, by all mean please suggest. I would at least like to go dual procs, wether it be P4 or xeons. Thanks for all your input guys.

Buy the new P4 2.8 ghz $580 more or less and with a good cooling you might overclock it to 3.2 Ghz ....Need more???? Well than will have to wait until october to see the new processors coming...

Back