• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigafast Switches

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

explorer

I was just wondering if anyone has or has any experience with gigafast switches? I am thinking about buying one but I want to know how they perform first.

Thanks

Generally all you need is 100Mbit. Most hard drives read at about 35-40Mbytes/second. Gigabit networking is 1000Mbits/s, or 125Mbytes/s. You would be using less than half of the bandwidth unless using scsi drives or direct from ram.

I would run a test on your network at 100Mbits first. A tool like "DU Meter," or XP's network usage graph are very helpful in finding out how fast stuff is flying across your network. My average network speeds is about 8Mbytes/s from another computer's hard drive. (that's about 70% network usage @ 100Mbits switched.) For me, adding 10x bandwidth to that is a waste of money.

Gigafast is actually a brand of 100mbps switches. I was wondering if anyone has used products made by the company Gigafast. Sorry about the confusion.

Explorer

Thats what I figured so i went ahead and bought it. I'll tell everyone how it does after a little bit of use.

Explorer

i have an 8 port Gigafast switch and love it. I got it for like 30 bucks at frys. it was a great improvement over my 5 port linksys hub. I have the switch in my room, i am like the downstairs gateway to the internet. It's nice knowing i can take my brother off the internet when he is making me lag.

Back