• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8500 finally water cooled.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

illbreakit

I finally got my AAA that I ordered a month ago. It seems that up here in western Canada, noone overclocks but me. Well, noone knows what Artic Silver is, let alone Artic Alumina Adhesive.

Anyways, I can finally get 305/310 on my retail 8500. Now on to the volt mod:D

Darn, I tried putting a frezer pack in my res to cool a little more. Got temps 3 deg lower, but I still couldn't go 305/310. Guess I need the volt mod sooner than I thought LOL

nice job ibt looks good , and i know what you mean about gettin o/c stuff in Canada must have drove 30 miles round the city one day till i found Arctic Silver =)

illbreakit said:
I finally got my AAA that I ordered a month ago. It seems that up here in western Canada, noone overclocks but me. Well, noone knows what Artic Silver is, let alone Artic Alumina Adhesive.

Anyways, I can finally get 305/310 on my retail 8500. Now on to the volt mod:D

Can't beat h20 cooling, btw what GPU block did you use on the 8500?

I built my own. It has a 3/16" thick copper bottom the size of the gpu, and a 3/4" thick Allum. top. 1 1/4" hole in the Allum. Fresh water goes into the center of the hole, straight down on gpu top, then exit's out the side.

yea... i would think you could get a little higher with watercooling.

My OEM Radeon can get 285/290 and its got the 4ns ram and stuff. It's normally 250/250, so I'm happy.

That's just with a custom air mod.... old heatsink... and a 23cfm sunon fan.

you might try flashing to a few different bioses..

i did this and it helped considerably..increase of 20-30mhz in memory timing

cynergy said:
you might try flashing to a few different bioses..

i did this and it helped considerably..increase of 20-30mhz in memory timing

Where did you get your bios? The only one I found was to convert a OEM to retail speeds, didn't help me at all.
MIne's got the 3.6ns ram if that makes any diference. I have heard that the 3.3ns is the oneto get but when you buy at Future Shop, you can't look at the cards first. Boxes are all shrink wrapped. I even returned my first one(I know, I know, but I wasn't broken) I just was hoping that I would get a better one. No dice.

BTW, is your speeds on 3Dmark2001se, or desktop? I can go up alot higher on just desktop, but it shuts down comp halfway through benchmark.

skinart said:
nice job ibt looks good , and i know what you mean about gettin o/c stuff in Canada must have drove 30 miles round the city one day till i found Arctic Silver =)

Well at least you managed to find it, here in Pretoria i go from 'dealer' to 'dealer' asking for Arctic Silver and i get question if i got the name right or they tell me tht there is no difference between the stuff...'No dont worry this stuff is all the same'...Ha what ever.:mad:

Wommalong

8500's

Seems the 128mb models with bga ram OC pretty well. Mine does 315 without aritfacts and can handle 3dmark. Unfortunately I don't think I mounted the old pentium HSF on the gpu very well. It's about twice as tall as ATI's gpu cooler with much more surface area, but I can't get my core much above 290 without 3dmark "losing focus".

I use tweakmonster ramsinks (non-bga size) on the memory. I had volt-modded my previous OEM card with resistors and flashed it to the retail bios, but it slowly started to die, and in removing the resistors, I tore off a solder pad. d'oh! Luckily I was able to unscrupulously cover my handiwork and return the card for credit claiming a tragic cpu HSF accident had occurred. I did purchase quite a bit of hardware from the vendor in order to dull my guilt. And I'm pretty happy now with the 128mb model. Both of my 8500's had/have 3.6ns ram.

For those of who oc their cards far off without proper cooling, STOP IT!! I oced my retail 128mb 8500le from 250/250 to 306/312 with stock cooling device, meaning the lame ati hsf it came and nothing on top of the rams, for two months, then the ram finally crapped out on me. I am in the process of RAMing the card back to ati for a new replacement...:(

Back