• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1600+ from newegg and well????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hydrata

got my 1600+ today...the product lines are tiny! but i made them out as

AX1600DMT3C
AROIA0213APMW
Y8042880452

so that means i have a AROIA Y made in the 13th week, correct? For cooling I have an ax-7 with thermaltake smart fan (i'm going to cut off the sensory, just bought it for the cool grill) and i'm running on an MSI KT3 Ultra ARU 2 motherboard with one stick of pc2700 muskin RAM and artic silver of course!!! This was my first time using artic silver and mounting a heatsink so i hope i didn't f**k that up!!! but anyway, what kind of overclock do you think I can look for? Thanks.

Edit: Also, how do I tell if it's green or brown??

hydrata said:
got my 1600+ today...the product lines are tiny! but i made them out as

AX1600DMT3C
AROIA0213APMW
Y8042880452

so that means i have a AROIA Y made in the 13th week, correct? For cooling I have an ax-7 with thermaltake smart fan (i'm going to cut off the sensory, just bought it for the cool grill) and i'm running on an MSI KT3 Ultra ARU 2 motherboard with one stick of pc2700 muskin RAM and artic silver of course!!! This was my first time using artic silver and mounting a heatsink so i hope i didn't f**k that up!!! but anyway, what kind of overclock do you think I can look for? Thanks.

Edit: Also, how do I tell if it's green or brown??
That's funny, how do you tell if it's green or brown? Look at the CPU!!! Is it green or brown? Anyway, it doesnt matter what color it is, makes no diff. In one rig I have an AGOIA "Y" week 13 running an AX-7 with a 50CFM Sunon. It is humming along at 1871 mhz (10.5 X 178) at 2V. I believe your board only goes to 1.85VCORE, with that you should get around 1.8.

Humph, my 1600+ came from newegg today as well it was a AROIA Y. I am anxious to set it up and see how it does. Let me know how yours does hydrata

I got one yesterday too. I haven't had a chance to try it yet. Don't
really know if I want too. Since I already have a agoia 0213 y running. I don't know if I can expect anymore from it or not oc
wise.

alright, we need to start a thread about aroia Y's from newegg, seeing as like 4 of us already have them.

Do the 1600+'s need to be unlocked?? If so, is it pretty easy? How much of a gain do you get from unlocking? Final question is, what does the unlocking do( up the voltage?)?

Thanks,,

Party on Wayne, Pary on Garth!

PhobMX: ARIOA's are good, though generally not as good as AGOIA.

stereosteve99: Unlocking allows you to change the multiplier. (cpu speed = FSB X Mult.)

Most people find the max for their CPU, then drop the multiplier and overclock the rest of the system more. That gives you more memory bandwidth and better video performance among other things. If your motherboard or memory is the limiting factor, you can increase the multiplier so you get more out of your CPU.

stereosteve99 said:
Do the 1600+'s need to be unlocked?? If so, is it pretty easy? How much of a gain do you get from unlocking? Final question is, what does the unlocking do( up the voltage?)?

Not always...default (factory set) multiplier is set at 10.5. This is what we refer to as 'locked'. Your processor runs at a multiple of the front side bus (FSB). Stock bus speeds right now are 133 MHz. So take a 1600+ for example: Has a default multi of 10.5 x 133 MHz = 1396.5 MHz (1.40 GHz).

Part of overclocking deals with adjusting the fequency of the FSB. If you have intentions of running your FSB at 200 MHz with your 'locked' Athlon 1600+, that means that your processor has to run at 200 x 10.5 = 2100 MHz (2.1 GHz). Unlikely. Maybe with liquid nitrogen cooling the cpu. To run high bus speeds, which increases memory bandwidth, you will need to 'unlock' your processor. This is so you can run the highest possible FSB speed, while running your processor at it's near maximum speed. A guide to 'unlocking' can be found as a sticky, at the top of the "AMD CPU" forum. Unlocking is rather easy, but requires patience. Lastly, voltage control is separate from multiplier adjustments. CPU Voltage has it's control through the BIOS or onboard jumpers (depending on board). As clock speed increases a great deal over the factory rated speed, generally your will need to increase the voltage being supplied to the CPU. This extra voltage will permit the CPU to work at higher frequencies, and needs to be increased only enough to make the CPU stable at those frequencies (no crashes, etc). Maximum AMD recommended voltage is 1.85. More voltage and higher frequencies increase heat. Heat decreases the CPU overclocking potential, stability, and life expectancy. You simply cannot/should not be overclocking without proper cooling. Hope this helps.

-PC

stereosteve99 said:

Thanks,,

Party on Wayne, Pary on Garth!

Very easy for some and almost Impossable for others.

Here is everything you ever wanted to know about how to Unlock an XP but were to afraid to ask. j/k :beer:

Watch out if you have Dial because it is 10 megs of Mpeg 4 video.

Also With the Newer 1600+ people are able to hit 2Ghz with them However this requires a high Voltage, 2.1 or above, and water cooling because at stock you use 68 some odd watts and at that speed you have to cool 150 watts :eek:!!!

Back