• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trouble installing OS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rannoch

Hello

I'm having this problem
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q217073&) where I
can't get past the setup screen when trying to install a OS.

I'm running on a Abit Kt7E Motherboard; athlon t-bird 900 and the HDD where I'm trying to install the OS is a Western Digital 80gb Special Editon...

I can see and use the HDD in win2k that I'm running right now (using disk managment). But I don't want to use this disk merley as a disk storage...
I havent flashed my BIOS.

I tried installing win2k on my other WD HDD (20gb) but got the same result...

I'm beginning to wonder how I managed to get the OS I have right now to work... :p

Rest of the specs:
abit kt7e
wd 80gb se
athlon t-bird 900mhz
256 sd-ram
gf4 4200

Hi rannoch,
1st: upgrade your BIOS to the latest version (A9)!
Go here: http://www.abit.com.tw/abitweb/webjsp/english/download_content.jsp?pTITLE=KT7E&#Bios
BIOS ID: A9

1. Fix nVidia GeForce4 Ti 4x00 AGP card compatible issue with Windows XP.
2. HPT 37x BIOS version 1.11.0402.The RAID function is for KT7A-RAID only. This BIOS version is also for non-RAID boards and HPT BIOS will be automatically disabled while RAID controller chip not detected.
3. BIOS Compile Date: 7/11/2002.

2nd: I was in the same problem with my MX-400 card on KT7A (rev.1.0) and i have fixed it by temporary placing an old PCI adapter only for the Windows XP installation.

Did anything of the above fixed the problem?

Thanks for the link. But I don't think that my video card has anything to do with this...

*somewhat embarrassed* :)

You were absolutely right penalty... I popped in my old PCI card and it didn't hang... Typical.

If only the microsoft could have said the same on their support... :eh?:

Anyway, thanks for helping me out. I'll go bang my head in the wall now for being so stupid and ignorant.

Back