• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

two computers, one UPS, one USB... help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

h0mersimps0n

well thats pretty much my dilemma. I have one UPS with a USB connection from it to my one computer. But I have my second server here and I want to protect that as well. All I do is have my computers hibernate upon powerouttage (it happened today and it worked great for my main comp).

my question is:

manually or otherwise is there ANY possible way to split the USB to feed both computers to tell them to hibernate? How about APC software? Anyone do this?

just cut up two usb cables and splice them together. Then test it to see if it works.

The only problem I would see is if the UPS ecpected feedback from the server(s). Then you would have trouble.

I don't think doing a splice would work, 'cause USB is meant for a single computer, not distributing between multiple. Hubbing would also not work as there will only be one downstream port. The best solution might be to send a hibernate command over the network from the machine connected to the USB. You might be able to find a shareware out there that can do it.

Back