• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR versus RAMBUS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nafdaos

Registered
ok im building a new system from scratch cuz my current system isnt oc'able i wanna know what people think i should use. im gonna buy a motherboard that accomodates DDR mem. but if i decide to used RAMBUS mem. i will buy a accomodating motherboard from my uncle(micamica1217) ill have him post what motherboard it is and memory and other crap like that.

for my new systemn im buying:
geforce4 4600 video card
memory will be listed later
mobo will also be listed later
Logitech's THX Z560 4.1 surround sound system 400 watts
CDRW 40X12X48 i already have it in my current computer though
some bs floppy drive
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum internal
Windows XP OEM version
and other crap

Well tell me how u think my new system is gonna be.

Last edited:
hi dude,

well take a look at what I said here

now if you do go RDRAM....get the TH7II from abit, and PC800 samsung memory.

I was going to try the asus p4t533...yet I am rethinking this.

if you try DDR...I think many peeps are having a lot of fun with abit's bd7II...yet it could run you more money to go DDR.

mica

The advantage of DDR is the short access time. The advantage of Ramubs is the high data transfer.

If you would like to build a DDR system I'd recommend you the Asus P4B533-E which runs very stable and is highly oc'able.

In case you want to build a Rambus-System, just take the Asus P4T533. That's the best.

LOL UNCLE MICA!!!! :p

if your getting the 1.6a then definately go ddr. The reason is because the 1.6a is a godly overclocker.. and ddr allows for teh highest overclcoking. RDRAM boards limit you to about a 150mhz fsb.

Darryl_D said:
LOL UNCLE MICA!!!! :p

if your getting the 1.6a then definately go ddr. The reason is because the 1.6a is a godly overclocker.. and ddr allows for teh highest overclcoking. RDRAM boards limit you to about a 150mhz fsb.

LOL...

with so many peeps OCing high with RDRAM, you think you might have learned.

this is the last FSB I did on air (160fsb).........
it's so rock stable.

mica

Last edited:
Chris1980 said:
The advantage of DDR is the short access time. The advantage of Ramubs is the high data transfer.

If you would like to build a DDR system I'd recommend you the Asus P4B533-E which runs very stable and is highly oc'able.

In case you want to build a Rambus-System, just take the Asus P4T533. That's the best.

What he said.

Rambus owns DDR.

You can't go wrong with either DDR or RDRAM. Last January when I built my system, the choice was obvious, I went with TH7-II and RDRAM. DDR has made lots of strides and "sometimes" seem to get a tad higher overclock. RDRAM still edges out the DDR in memory bandwidth and performance benchies, but not by much. It's getting close to being a toss-up. Moral of the story? You can't go wrong with either. Personally, I'm staying with RDRAM for a little longer. I like having lots of memory bandwidth and am willing to give up a few MHz of top end CPU clock speed if I have to.

Back