• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thalidomide Kid

Registered
Today I tried to change in my new hard drive, and after formating it (NTFS) and adding the files from my XP CD, when i rebooted it I got a message:

BOOT FROM ATAPI CD-ROM:
NO EMULATION

To my great annoyance, when i stuck my old hard drive back in it wouldnt start so i reformated that and i still recieved the same message. Help would be greatly apreciated, thank you.

it appears that your bootup is trying to look for the files from a CDROM. does your Harddrive have the bootup files? If so then go into bios and select the proper bootup options. Normally its floppy, Hd, Cdrom. But u can have it any order you like. it will search in that order untill it gets the files. If u are trying to boot from HD, its always best not to have a 1.44 floppy or cd in the tray.

If u are trying to install windows from a cd then thats another story. U may have a bad CD.

AZN

Ive got it set to:

Floppy
Hard Drive
CD

Im running XP so i used my boot disks to configure CD-Booting, my problem is, Theres nothing on my hard drive, and I dont have a floppy in. So after checking those two it goes to the CD, I have my Windows XP CD in and when it reads the CD it does the same thing it would if i was using a series of boot disks. So it loads all the drives and such and then asks if I want to format My HD and install XP on it. I then format it to NTFS (some of my rendering programs wont work on FAT) and it then automatically copies all some nesissary windows files onto my HD. Then restarts my system, if went well it would boot up and install XP from my CD but instead i get that message. Its a pain in the *** ;) Any suggestions?

so after all files are copied and it reboots u get the same error? After the reboot you dont hit a key to start from cdrom again do u? It should just continue the XP setup installation. let me know where ur at now.

AZN

Nope it just gives me that error and launches right back into the same sequence you would get from a boot disk. changing the order didnt do anything, i didnt expect it would but it was worth a shot. ;) So I have a problem on my hands, It does the same thing with both my DVD player and my CD burner, its really starting to anger me.

Back