• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is it possible the heatsink isnt screwed down enough?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RangerJoe

All that is Man!
i was just thinking...and is it possible that when i put my heasink on, i didnt screw it down enough? and thats why my temps are so high...54 - load at 1.775 vcore...case temps are at...34c but its a reall hot day here (above 100)

it is possible, if your heatsink isn't making proper contact with the core than heat transfer will be ineficient. I don't like screw down sinks cause too much torque is a good way to crack a chip. 54 load although undesireable is still a far cry from the 90 that amd sets as a max. the biggest question is does it cause instability. I f your system is still stable then its really not a big deal, although cooler is always better.

a hot day can certanly raise temps especially if ac isn't up to par

Agreed with snvpa is might not be making proper contact or another problem might be related to the thermal compound i.e too much or not enough of even the make (ive used some really cheap paste that when replaced with RS has gained me a 3-4C difference) . Let us know as thats one of the better coolers on the market today. Also are these temps taken via BIOS, Software or otherwise? But agreed with above with that kind of heat outside it cant help your situation.

I wouldn't worry about screwing the alpha pal8045 down a little bit more (all thanks to its excellent way of mounting) You might want to check the thermalpaste once more. And screw it on crosswise, one screw at the time.

It might just be the weather, but AFAIK the alpha pal8045 should be more stable (not having those kinda large differances between idling and 100% CPUusage)

Well. I'd just try and get a nice tan and check the temps at night or with a large desk-fan blowin onto your HS with an open case.

if you go here www.amd.com read the section on the new 2400+ and 2600+ amd mentions tighter heatsinks on the cpu works better so dont tighten it so that it breaks but tighter than usual loose heat sinks arent getting good contact my friends 2100+ on stock gets that same temp with his hsf also it really loose.

ok, i might go pick one up...i had one for my tbird...but they dont work anymore...so maybe ill spent a few $ and possible save some C's

poor contact reall makes a big difference. I am positive abt that. Experienced it b4. add as3 to enhance contact

Back