• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm new...is this a good thing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

a1cnolan

okay so I've been reading up in the forums for months on end and i finally chose all of my components and I'm happy with what i bought. i chose to get the 1600 from newegg for 54.99 and i got lucky with two of those agoia 0213's.anyway i must have missed something because i was told that if i could change the multiplier value in the bios that it was unlocked but i can change mine all day on the 8k5a2+ (epox) and i get a fail everytime. so i figure ive gotta unlock it but here's the deal. i got bored and decided to see if i could boot with the fsb at 166 and well i could....i get to windows and it turns out i now have an amd 2100+....is that a good thing?j/k but question is ive already got a few programs i can test it with but just to make sure could you guys rattle off a few names and locations of software to burn this in with...not under load my case temp is 25c and my processor temp is sitting at 36c. my voltage is at 1.85,,,,,i think thats a good thing. oh i just set the voltage to that cause i figured id get there eventually anyway might as well save myself a few heartattacks...thanks in advance

OC

Your CPU is locked. That's why other multiplyers don't work.

The Agoia's have great potential. A 1600+ agoia is usually capable of 166 FSB even locked- for 1743 Mhz! Its better to get your megahertz by raising the FSB than it is by raising the multiplyer anyway. Your temperatures and cpu voltage are fine. What is the voltage of your memory set at?

If you were to unlock and if your memory is capable of it, you could get even more FSB by using a lower multiplyer. You may be able to get a little more FSB anyway, but its time to take small steps and stability test as you go higher.

Check here for Prime95, a really good stability test. Choose torture test and let it run a few hours. You'll be able to see if there are any calculation errors and it will give you a good cpu load temperature. 3dmark2001se is also a good way to test stability and 3d graphics performance. Graphics seem to become unstable before anything else.

Folding@home or Seti@home are also good for the same kind of stability testing, although they run in the background all the time and take up your cpu's leftover cycles while doing valuable scientific research. Once you get the hang of overclocking and find the right settings, I recommend investigating these projects. Users compete at how fast they can turn in work, and its quite addictive. Overclockers.com has teams for both of these projects.

well i backed it down to norms. when i ran 3dmark it froze on the fish in the water part. question:i know this isn't the forum but ive noticed that nvidia has these new 30.82's. as a whole has anyone said they were better or worse than the 29.42's? i know that sometimes people get better results when overclocking their vid cards by having different drivers but what about overclocking their cpu or fsb? anywho i just set my memory to what is it 2.8 up from 2.5 i think. is that right? also by it freezing does that indicate that the fsb was too much or the processor speed? thanks again

stability

Its hard to say why 3dmark might lock-up. There could be a number of things:

cpu overclocked too high or not enough voltage
FSB too high for the memory
weaker memory timings needed
video card or cpu getting too hot
unstable video card driver

I can tell you that the range between 150 and 166 FSB may be unstable because the 1/5 divisor is not engaged until you hit 166 FSB. So it may be all or nothing overclocking. Try to get 166 to be stable if you can. Remove the side panel and see if that drops the temperatures and if it helps stability. Or try to raise the cpu voltage just one more notch if its not already above 45C at full load.

Info that might help us solve your stability problem:

How did prime95 do for you?
What video card? Is it overclocked at all?
What memory?
What memory settings in the bios?
Load temperature?

If you want to save yourself some effort, go to the "User CP" button up top and edit your profile by adding your hardware info into your signature. Keep it less than 10 lines long.

I actually am leaning toward the video card or driver being the problem. If 3dmark freezes or exits, it usually does so in the 1st few tests. Since the fish test is near the end, I think it may be the card is getting hot, or that the driver has a problem.

lot's o questions

okay with prime 95 i am testing right now and am at 44c passed the 640k test and all before. i thik im gonna have to start watercooling. i don't like that 44c on my screen but anyway
yeah i think im gonna try the 29.42 drivers on my gainward...i used to have the gf2 and they worked well for me..well see
my memory timings are at 2-2-2...i suppose i would want to lower the overclock before lowering them...
i jumped to the 166 right off the bat because i didn't want to mess with anything with a high mhz on the pci or agp
question..is there a way to raise my vagp?would i want to?
im using cpucool to keep track of my temps.
i told the bios to shutdown at the lowest temp chooseable(65c)
seems kinda high to me especially since i hear that those temp indicators usually show lower temps than actual temp
i think i can configure cpucool to shutdown at a lower temp.
i oced my vid card slightly last night..got the engine clock at 250 and the memory at 526....just tryign to beat 10000 on 3dmark...
am i doing too much at one time? i upped my voltage to see if i would become stable. after prime is done running ill try 3dmark again..currently doing the 440k test at 41c.woohoo don't know why the temp dropped but im not complaining.oh just went back up. i think it only registers 41 or 44 and is somewhere between.
sorry for the mess

Back