• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

memory overvolting - how dangerous ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hellraiser

ich have a 1.6 A p4 and infinion ddr 256 mb 133 cl2
on an epox 4bda runnig at 2.9 V ( default is 2.6 i think.. )
OS is Win2k

the reason i have jumped the voltage so high is that prime95 was giving me errors after 1 selftest loop, since having them run on 2.9 prime95 is working fine...

im just worried that my ram will somehow suffer from this....mybe soon..maybe not....

can ne1 tell me if my bad thoughts have a reason?
i know that they might " die " faster in means by " getting old " but i know i wont stick on them for long.. maby 6 or 9 months...
ne1 got a clue ?

thx for your time.

It can happen but not liekly. the system would just lock up if the RAM overheated from what I have read. I would get a set of ramsinks or a ram coolnig kit if you'r worried about it. newer DDR, pc3000 or pc3200 or pc3500 all comes with a heat spreader on it, I intend to take that off and put some thermal grease on it.

dude your livin on borrowed time those ram chips will explode any second now.
Quick turn you computer off and get out of the room, before its to late.................:D

try running it at 2.7 or 2.8 and doing prime some more. 2.9 is getting towards the area of lowering the longevity of your ram.

well on my 4bda epox i can only set the voltage per jumper ( dont ask me why.. ) i set it to 2.9 but the bios reads 2.86 , oh well...thx for the info, i guess i simply have to get a better stick of ram then...

my infinion are pc 2100U - guess i should be happy that they are runnin @ 133 fsb...

I have been running my crucial at 3.9 / 3.8 (some of each) for a year now, and its fine. I ran it at 3.8 for about 6 months, and then i got some heatsinks on it and uped it to 3.9.

WyrmMaster said:
I have been running my crucial at 3.9 / 3.8 (some of each) for a year now, and its fine. I ran it at 3.8 for about 6 months, and then i got some heatsinks on it and uped it to 3.9.

Nice but I don't think it's a good idea for everyone to try doing this.

I guess you were either using sdram with a 3.3v default or have done some sort of mod to even get that kind of a voltage for ddr or you meant 2.8 and 2.9v :)

Here I was thinking that memory chips are internally down-regulated to 1.8V and the excess voltage only heats up the regulators and causes the output buffers to wiggle a bit faster. But o-well

Clinth

i like those 4 fans up the back that looks cool. you should paint that cdrom black though, otherwise cool lookin system. you should get a UV (black light) cold cathode in there, and some UV reflective paint or UV reflective rounded cables or something.

Back