• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does EMIII make elephant sounds?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

the_poche

I was playing around with EMIII ,looking at different skins, and out of nowhere , I hear an elephant noise:eh?:

I pretty sure that only EMIII and folding stuff was running at the time... so, what does this sound mean?

EM3

It does that when there is an error... either in getting your scores from stanford, or if a frame takes longer than EM3 thinks it should. Most of the time it is the latter and means nothing, just that your cpu is doing other things and is folding slower.

So if EM predicted that a frame take 5min but I do it in 6 , then it'll play that sound?

the_poche said:
So if EM predicted that a frame take 5min but I do it in 6 , then it'll play that sound?

No, more like if EMIII thinks it should take 5 and it takes 20.

DManeKid said:
mine doesnt take that long if it predicts 5 i would say it does it around 10 or so

That was just a rough estimate. I personally hate that obnoxious(sp?) sound and so I have it switched to the Star Trek Enterprise D red alert sound instead.

You can uncheck it and get no sound or chose a different sound. It was first placed in the program when EMIII was upgraded to warn us if a protein was not going to make the deadline for the protein it was folding. The only time it should warn you is when a frame takes so long that computation shows the WU will expire before completion.:beer: :burn:

JetMech said:
You can uncheck it and get no sound or chose a different sound. It was first placed in the program when EMIII was upgraded to warn us if a protein was not going to make the deadline for the protein it was folding. The only time it should warn you is when a frame takes so long that computation shows the WU will expire before completion.:beer: :burn:
actually there is an option for that and it places a big red x on your wu finish time so i dont think it plays the sound when that happens

From my experience when the red X is on in the EM window the elephant sound repeatedly sounds off. It is for that very reason that I unchecked the sound select box. It was really irritating. The first version of EM that came with the warning would indicate a prob when there wasn't one. Now there is a check box to turn both the red x and the sound off.:beer: :burn:

I disabled it too. I was reading something and was really focused, and the sound played... Well , I almost fell off of my chair :D

the_poche said:
I disabled it too. I was reading something and was really focused, and the sound played... Well , I almost fell off of my chair :D

Yea, it can be very startling at times. I always make sure I don’t get too entranced by reading a post, because you never know when the enterprise will go on red alert.;)

Back