• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Slot blowers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Seal

Why dont people like using those slot fans that blow air out of your case? surely theyre not that bad, say, under a hot agp gfx card with a fan on the gfx processor??? hot air blows over the chip then gets sucked out...???

i'd say mostly because they take up a slot. :D

i've never used one, but i've heard people who have used them say they're not that bad.
i didn't realise people were so adverse to using them.

I'd say it's because it's exhausting the heat where you typically don't CARE about the heat. Exhausting at the top is great beause that's where heat collects. exhausting at the bottom, where the slots are, doesn't make as much sense because heat goes up, not down.

I suppose you could but it next to a video card, but the fan on the chip would be working against the negative air pressure created by the slot fan.

Probably the best implementation I've seen of those blowers was inside a PSU.

You can always take use those PCI blower as an intake:D
Just remove the factory fan, and then attach a 80mm fan on top of the empty hole...so your GPU have constant cool air blowing at it.;)

My MB removes the need for extra cards.. I got my AGP card.. everything else is handled by the MB :)

very happily and very effeciently I may add.. the sound is better then any card I've ever had... cause I really don't see the point in shelling out for an audigy or something.. sound isn't a major thing for me...

But all my PCI slots are open :)

ok, dansonang how come they do not work well? any reasons for this?

thanks

(i got mine for £1 when i was on holiday on thailand)

I have one and I'm not disappointed with it at all, I have mine under my sound card(SB Audigy, which takes two slots), but I am currently trying to find a way to reverse the airflow so I can use it on my Gforce4 TI4200 as added cooling. I might just take the fan out and and set an 80mm fan on it. But as it is I think it is a good fan, pulling the warm air out of the bottom dosen't let the warm air reach the CPU, and if your using something like a Gforce 4 they do create a little heat.

oh, and they are'nt expensive, here's the price and specs for one from mwave.com:

MWAVE SLOT COOLER W/BALL BEARING FAN $7.00
Voltage: 12V
Current: 0.15A
Output Power: 1.8W
Airflow: 42CFM

If placed correctly, the SLOT blower can decrease the chance of having a dead spot, in the lower back of the case.

i found that mine tended to increase the temp of my vidcard. maybe because the cooler itself tends to get rather warm, even sitting outside the case. it also sits very tight to the cards on either side allowing it, i think, to heat up even more. while it may have been circulating air near the vid card it wasnt enough to cool the card and itself. my vidcard performence increased just by removing it, before i put on the new gpu and case fans

i deffinately prefer the fan i've got in the side of my case blowing on my cards, but if it works for you...

Last edited:
Back