• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Future directions of SETI@home

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hallen

The current SETI@home search will wind down over the next year or so. However, we are working on new projects that will continue to use the computer power of millions of volunteers to further SETI and other scientific research. Our plans include the following:

BOINC - Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing

SETI@home southern hemisphere search

AstroPulse - astronomical pulse detection

Here's our timeline for the completion of our current project and the release of new ones:

http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/setifuture.html

Supposedly they are also planning on SETI@H II. I'm sure we can all find something to do if/when the current S@H ends. :)

Cy

I kinda thought this was going to end quickly due to the amount of processing power involved now.
I thought i read somewhere there may be a similiar project which detects and processes light signals from space.

This is great investment news. We all better sell our shares of Intel, AMD, and other computer related companies. Once Seti ends they will lose quite a bit of business :D

Don't worry about that TC! I'm sure that if the Folding guys got wind of this, they'd just about foam at the mouth at the number of potential members they'd get!

Something I've been waiting a LOOOOOONG time for:
OpenGL graphics: we're looking forward to redoing the SETI@home graphics in true 3D

This sounds pretty cool.... Good thing they're keeping SETI (even if they're ditching Ariciebo). I'm sure that lots of people joined just to find ET.

JigPu

I would actually like to see the project go in some different directions. Not drop the current work altogether, but add some other astronomy related projects if possible.

Don't really mind losing Seti as much as losing this team but I guess we must move on at some point. :cry:

Back