• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

something you should know about A7V333

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Drak55

ASUS A7V333: VIA KT333 chipset (VIA website)

We have qualified the ASUS A7V333 as a representative board of the VIA KT333 chipset-based mainboards. Since the board supports DDR 333 (PC2700) we recommend using high end memory only, that is, either PC2700 or Level2 (222) PC2100.
USER TIPS: The default memory voltage of jthe A7V333 is out of spec which causes DDR DIMMs to run hot and eventually fail. The voltage can be adjusted by moving the undocumented jumpers JP1 and JP2 to close 1-2 or else remove both jumpers completely. We found the following voltages when measuring directly at the DIMM slots:

ii 2.59 - 2.63V (same with one or both jumpers removed completely)
i! 2.78 - 2.83V (default setting, out of spec according to JEDEC guidelines
!i 2.88 - 2.94V
!! 2.95 - 3.06V

The latter two settings are almost guaranteed to destroy the memory modules. We found that by reducing the voltage from default to the lowest setting, we were able to achieve approximately 3% system performance increase (not in SiSoft Memory benchmark, though but in real applications)

We found that running the memory bus asynchronous at 166 MHz with the FSB does not overall increase system performance because of the higher latencies and the buffers required for synchronization of memory and FSB. Many of the boards exhibit some problems when DIMM Slots 1 and 2 are populated simultaneously. Moving the DIMMs to slots 1 and 3 usually solves these issues.

RECOMMENDED DIMMS:
512MB High Performance Level2
256 MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM
512 MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM

This is old news. This was posted in the Forums when the A7V333 first came out. I tried to put the jumpers at ii (when I first read the article), and it would not boot. Since I had the board (which was when it first came out), I had the jumpers at i! and it is safe and stable. As long as you have good quality Ram, then there should be no problem. I also have touced the Ram after doing some serious benchmarks, and it is slightly warm (not at all hot). Bottom Line--Keep it at default and do not worry about it.
Abb

Back