• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

If you OC to much..could this happen?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brunt

Ok...well, I got my 1800+ to 1.7ghz for a while...then took it back down when the weather started to get hot...and now I cant reach it again, and my idle temps at underclocked to a 1.1ghz are around 130F!! If you overclock w/o the proper cooling to much..can it cause the cpu to run hot all the time? Please let me know if I need a new cpu! If not...then I dont know what it is. I dont think its the mobo, and I know its not the heatsink fan, because I am on my 2nd one. Also...I cant read any OC, except TINY, because of the heat. I got it to 190F on load once, and I have only turned it on once since then..to make sure it works lol.

I am using my laptop, and I miss my gf4 with warcraft and GTA3...please help me :)
I would be happy to just get a 1600+ or something to replace it if needed. If anyone is on AIM, I am Hindra.

:eek: :eek: 190F!?!?!? That's 88C!!!! :eek: :eek: 54C at load is bad enough. Your sig doesn't say what you have cooling that thing, what is it? I'd try reseating it and wiping off the old ASIII and putting some new stuff on for starters. Even a little movement can set a HSF off kilter a bit.

BTW: I've never heard of that kind of thing happening, so I tend to think it may be a problem with your HSF and not the processor.

Its my 2nd heatsink...and Ive tried to adjust it..but I am thinking I just need a new cooling setup. I am gonna try the Swiftech MCW462-UT Water Cooling Kit. If that cant cool my cpu down..then I dunno what will!

Reinstall that sink buddy! Right now! Something probably went outta sync, or maybe the thermal paste deteriorated or something.. Chips don't get hotter out of nowhere, it's the heatsink.

And you say you're on you second sink, that doesn't really mean anything. It could be the second cheap, poorly installed heatsink for all we know (don't take offense to that, it's just an example). Heatsinks don't really get worse over time unless something extreme happens.

--Illah

another reason why overclocking kills :D hope u fix the prob, its probably the heatsink that is causing the major heat, make sure its on propertly.

Ok well...it prob is just me! but can I get a definition of "How to install a heatsink" please? Pretty much all I did was..

Put the cpu in the socket, put on the paste, place the heatsink ontop of the cpu, and clipped it down. It looks fine to me..everything looks even...would a picture of it help?

Well..I am unlocking the CPU

Well...I figure I can unlock the CPU, and lower the multipliers...will that help lower the cpu temps?? then I can just raise the mobo speed to get the same setup.

Re: Well..I am unlocking the CPU

Brunt said:
Well...I figure I can unlock the CPU, and lower the multipliers...will that help lower the cpu temps?? then I can just raise the mobo speed to get the same setup.

Yeah, lowering the multiplier will lower the speed and back off the CPU work. What's your vcore, anyways?

My Vcore is 1.75...but in the bios it reads at 1.74...so I know thats not the prob...I am going to sand the heatsink today, and finish unlocking it...

Maximouse said:
Just curious.

Is your heatsink installed backwards? If you have it installed reversed it wont make full contact with the Cpu core.

This actually makes alot of sense. The clips work both ways but the heatsink is supposed to installed only one way, for the most part they're not reversible. You should check.

--Illah

No, actually, its not on backwards..there is a lip, and I placed the lip where its supposed to go. There is a hump where the lever is. The little lip is there so it lays even. I know its on right...I would think though, not even with a cheap heatsink it would get this hot.

What type of heatsink are you using?. also is the fan operating properly on the hs and how powerful is it?

Another question, what program are you using to monitor your temps?

Last edited:
First heatsink was the stock heatsink that came with my 1800+, retail..then I went out and bought a cheap coolermaster heatsink...and to monitor my temps at idle, I use the BIOS, at load..I use a program that came with the mobo, Asus Probe. I am using BIOS version 1010.

Hmmm... Well even the stock heatsink fan combo should be running around 55C range. What kind of fan is on your current heatsink. Check this thread for a couple tips on how to do a couple cooling things and installation of AS3 and heatsinks.... www.overclockers.com/tips1019
It would help to know what fan is on your heatsink. BTW: Why a cheap heatsink...Get an AX-7....You'll never have cooling problems like that ever..................

Brunt said:
I would think though, not even with a cheap heatsink it would get this hot.

I had a cheap HS/fan combo that came free with my T-Bird.

My A/C quit and it got hot in here. Something happened to the fan on the HS....it slowed down alot. It got to 70c before shutting down (bios set to do that).

Point is, If your HS is on properly and the fan is operating to capacity then those temps must be false readings. 88c? has to be a bad sensor. Does your bios tell you your fan speed?

yeah..it will tell me the rpms...but also, now that its running so hot...I cant OC as much....I was at 1.7, now I can only get to 1.63 and its unstable. I think its because its running to hot.

Back