• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think my ISP capped me

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Darth

i phoned up my ISP's technical support asking for their DNS and i also told em i was using a router... is that enough for them to cap my bandwidth? Do they really hate routers? because im noticing a major slowdown. Maybe i should call them up and b*tch at them. my ISP is Telus (west side of Canada) and im on adsl.

BTW, the whole time the tech support lady was saying "we dont support routers this we done support routers that..."

Well first off you were already capped. Second if they are anything like my ISP they don't know anything about routers so there for they don't support them but you can still use them. I notice with mine when I run direct it goes right along but when I hook up to my router so my Fiancee can go online it slows down a little.

well, i know its already capped but i was wondering if they capped it even lower. i've tested it before through my router and i got 1.2 mbits down. i just tested it now and i'm getting 900kbits down. i phoned them and they said that it could be anywhere between 500k and 1.5 mbits... and she said that they ddnt cap my line any further at all and that they dont do that. i guess it's just a slow week then i hope.

the router will not make any difference in speed nor did they cap u any lower. It may have been traffic time for the internet when u ran the test. Try running the test both during peak and off peak times to see if u get any difference.

AZN

If they know you're sharing your bandwidth between multiple computers in your home and that's not allowed under their terms (like my ISP), they might cap you lower, yes.

I've seen my upload speed capped to 60k/sec, it started out at 130k/sec when I first had my net...started to cap after I mentioned Wingate to the techs.

i yet to find a provider that says routers cant be used. U payed for the bandwidth, and adding more PCs to it wont eat up anymore then u already can. They wont support the network but they will support the 1 pc. Sometimes people and even the CSR gets this confused.

AZN

Capping you just because you got a router would be a pain for them. Acutally I should say changing the amount that you're already capped, because you are capped at something. Anyway they'd have to create a special docsis config file just for you. I'm sure that's way more effort than they would ever go to just because you got a router. The reason they tell you they don't support them is because they want as little responsibility for CPE problems as they can get away with. Basically if you have more than the modem they gave you they don't want to troubleshoot any problems you might encounter.

attbi will tell me when trouble shooting to unhook the router and plug into the machine so they can troubleshoot.
no support for network but they are required to support ur pc.

AZN

when i first got my dsl, i used to upload faster then what i downloaded. i pay for 608down 256up. when if first got it i got 540down 700up =) i used to send files over to my friends at a wopping 80kb/s and i was able to host 12-14 player game servers! one day i started getting disconnected every 5-7minutes. i called, they fixed it i got capped. end of story bummer

AZN said:
attbi will tell me when trouble shooting to unhook the router and plug into the machine so they can troubleshoot.
no support for network but they are required to support ur pc.

AZN
I've got Charter Pipe line and that's exactly what they did to my wife. She was having problem's getting online when I was at work. They asked her how many PC's we had. Then they asked if we had a router. They told her to disconnect the router and go directly from the modem.

If there anything like MSN (who i USED to work for) then they try to limit what you can troubleshoot so that you can get the call over quicker. For MSN the goal was 9 min, i was usually around 7 though. When they say they dont support routers they mean the dont provide TECHNIAL support for routers, not that there service wont work with a router or they dont allow you to use one.

AZN said:
i yet to find a provider that says routers cant be used. U payed for the bandwidth, and adding more PCs to it wont eat up anymore then u already can. They wont support the network but they will support the 1 pc. Sometimes people and even the CSR gets this confused.

AZN

Sprint DSL. They even offer them as part of their package.

Back