• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to monitor linux seti across a network?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

none1

OK, say I'm running seti under linux on multiple machines. (not yet, but SOOON ) Some of the machines are headless (no monitor).

Can I monitor / watch the seti progress / stats from a server machine for all the node machines? How?

Thanks

Thanks TC.

I've seen setiwatch before, but its a windows program. I will have a linux server (LTSP) and linux nodes that boot off the server with no monitors.

I want to be at the linux server, and monitor the progress of each node.

Do you know of any programs similar to setiwatch that will work for linux to monitor remote nodes?

I see the race is tight, and I'm trying to squeeze out every WU for team TC. :)

Thanks

I'll try to see if it runs under wine. Wine is installed by default with the ltsp package from K12. I don't know of anything else off hand. If you use our cluster how-to then your server will have the seti client files for each node in the cluster. It's not as easy as something like Seti Watch, but you can look in the folder for each node and make sure the state.sah file has the current time next to it (lets you know it's running) and the script sends a screen shot of the client to a text file, so you see what you would normally see if you had a monitor connected to the node. Another option still is to run SetiQ under wine. That will give you all the usual stats that it provides in a gui interface.

although i have not tried it, msetimon will run under linux.

msetimon seems good for mixed os's, since it does not require mounting the client file system to check the status, like setiwatch does. so, you don't need to mess with samba or wine.

setiwatch works ok in an all windows envirmonment, but it updates very slooowwwly (at least for me).

from the looks of it, i think msetimon would also let you monitor machines over the internet, like a home machine when you are work. i suppose this would require opening or forwarding some firewall ports as well.

http://msetimon.sourceforge.net/

I am using MSetiMon to watch my LTSP nodes from my windows workstation; works fine.

Msetimon just needs to have the directory(s) that it is watching specified and will keep an eye on them- also letting you know if a client stops processing a work unit.

I currently have it watching 3 directories: server and 2 client nodes.

I have been running the winnt clc on the server (using wine) so I already have the gui running on the server- I am not sure if it would work any other way.....

OK Rog, I'm going in ......

Goal this weekend is to setup LTSP under Mandrake 8.2, FOR ONE NODE. Next week, I ADD NODES. Seems like you're at where I want to be .......

1) Just to make sure I understand ... you're using MSetiMon UNDER WINDOWS to monitor your nodes, you are NOT using a linux native MSetiMon, right?

2) On the server, you're NOT running seti native. You ARE running seti under WINE, correct? BUT, you are running seti native on the nodes .......

Hmmmmm. I've HEARD that seti under wine is faster than under linux, in fact, faster than under windows itself.

So why not run seti under wine ON THE NODES also ......

3) Have you got any of the temp / system monitor stuff running on the nodes? I'm worried about setting up some of my normal mandrake stuff up under the LTSP on the nodes.

4) Other than the howto, you got any hints before I start? I can use linux, been running mandrake as my router/ firewall, but am not strong in it.

Thanks much

If you want to use Mandrake you're going to have to install all of the LTSP files manually. I'd highly recommend the K12LTSP version that incoporates everything into the install.

Doug and I experimented with using the windows client under wine. He benchmarked with it and got a better time. I used it on a dually machine that I have been running win2k on for months. After running the NT client under wine for about 4 days the average time was exactly the same as win2k. Beats me why this is so, but that's the way it worked for me.

Thanks TC.

I already know and am comfortable with Mandrake. I know how to set up firewalls, routers, its my DHCP server, etc. etc. Its graphical installer rocks. If I go with the full K12LTSP, I then need to figure out how to firewall / route / etc. in it.

So start with mandrake, just figure out LTSP, or, start over with K12LTSP and figure out everything else.

I'm gonna try adding LTSP to mandrake tonight. If that blows up, maybe I'll try the other way around.

Thanks

My setup:
LTSP Server (single cpu) running the WinNT Seti Client under wine and MSetiMon watching the Server's Seti instance and the 2 nodes instances (linux native client)

I have a Windows .Net Server pc acting as an MSetiMon relay server: all MSetiMon installations send stats to the relay server, and the stats get sent back to all the pcs as well.

I monitor from my workstation which is a Win2K pc.

I want to get more data as far as wine vs linux native, but I blew up my server yet again just before vacation :( so I haven't yet.

I did get lm_sensors and gkrellm working on my LTSP Server, and that looks promising, once it is worked out.......but I am learning linux as I go, and have not been able to get the sensors working on the clients yet. From my reading it does look possible, and gkrellm has a plugin that will allow it to display temps/volts of networked pcs. gkrellm also has a port that works in windows, so it may even be possible to monitor temps from a windows pc.....

So there is a LOT of room for research, experimentation and fine-tuning!

Back