• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Safe P4 2.0a Overclock.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rudski

Im very glad to say that my heat problem has gone. After many dollars, drilling and the odd OMG i've finally finished my case.
Temps before the case mods were.

idle : 50 2.0 @ 2.4 1.525V abit th711
load : 65 - 70*.

* 70 never was reached but 65 came so quickly that 70 would have easily be reached.

After Case Mod.

idle : 39c ( 2.0 @ 2.4 1.525 V)
load: 47c

idle : 41c ( 2.0 @ 2.66 1.525V)
load : 47c

I installed 3 x 12cm Sunon fans ( 2 fans sucking, 1 fan blowing). 1 Volcano 7+ and Arctic silver 3.

This is my question:

Without the Vmod what could my cpu be overclocked? What is the best known config in bios to maybe get 2.8?
I would like to safely overclock my PC but 2.6 is pretty quick. Im thinkin if i would need to overclock my PC more it would be when Doom3 came comes out.
I noticed that a FSB between 130 and 133 has no difference in the cpu speed, but 133 wouldn't boot back into windows but 130 did.
Do i need more voltage when i go to 133? i don't want my cpu to die thats why i would like for now to overclock it and make sure it still works 8 months down the track.

great job. those temperatures are decent for a slightly overclocked, overvolted woodie, although i'd expect that your idle temps would increase to the mid to upper 40s and your load temps would increase into the mid to upper 50s with some serious overclocking. your temps are on par with my 2.26 system. i have a modded lian li case with 5 case fans, and an ax-478 with a delta "she" fan. i'm moving some serious air, but am at 47c idle and up to 58c under load.

as for volts, let the prevailing thought is that over 1.75 is bad, under 1.75 is fine. i've been running both my northies at over 1.70 but under 1.75 for months now without a hiccup from either. they're so stable its almost boring!:cool:

Sounds like now that you dropped your temps, you should be able to increase the voltage a little more and push that system up a little higher. If you can keep it cool, then 1.7v is no problem. I've ran my 2.0a at 1.7v for about 8 months (there have been a few times when I ran it higher too). If you're not using Arctic Silver thermal paste, I highly recommend trying it. That will usually knock temps down at least a couple degrees or more.

What sort of Ram do u use?

I got this RDRam with silver metal jackets? How can i tell what brand I bought, because when i bought the ram the store only had one sort so i didn't even bother asking what it was just gimmi gimmi gimmi :)

Whats the best RDRam to overclock?

Back