• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

quick question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zigma

i have 3 computers networked to my dsl. all with diffrent IP addresses (static) all networked with a 8port switch. anyway my little sister loves going to those nice flash websites that suck my poor bandwidth up when she is downloading the game and i am playing tribes2. so i want to cap her download speed to 10kb/s (yes i am evil but that is fast for her, she can wait a minute to download 1mb) is there any programs out that do this or any IE options/Browsers that do this. any information/advice would be very helpfull

regards.

I would think your switch would have some built in way of doing that for you....I know my switch and router allow me to limit bandwith to a certain LAN IP on the network...

You may wanna look into that

Spec

my switch is not a very expensive one. but it does the job and has not failed/went dead on me ever and its been on 24/7 for like 3months. =( what kind do you have?

You're not going to be able to do much with a switch unless it's a managed switch. 10kbps? Geez that's awfully mean. It will take a hell of a lot longer than a minute to download a meg at that speed. Did you mean to say 10KBps? Either way there's not an easy solution that I know of. You might be able to do it with a proxy server that has bandwidth controls. You could lock her nic to 10MBps with the driver, but that won't accomplish anything since that's still 10X faster than a typical cable or dsl line. Maybe someone else here knows of an easy solution. You could theoretically mess with the tcp/ip stack window settings in the registry, but I'd hardly call that easy.

I got a Linksys EZXS16W 16-Port switch and a Linksys BEFSR41 Router....both of them have the ability to limit the bandwith....

I think that you may want to invest in a router instead of a switch...they have more options for you to do things and have firewalls bult-in(I don't believe switches do)

Spec

Back