• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

whats the difference....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

o0OBruceLeeO0o

whats the difference between "CORSAIR MEMORY XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series 512MB 32MX8 PC-3200C2 With Heat Spreader" and "CORSAIR MEMORY XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series 512MB 64MX64 PC-3200 CMX512-3200 512MB PC3200 DDR RAM " All i can see being differenc is the first is 32MX8 and the second is 64mx64. The second is also more expenive. What does the mx thing mean?

I would have thought they were the same. You got the prices from the same seller, right?

To shed some light on the numbers in the parts you noted, go to http://www.corsairmicro.com/main/prxms.html and look at the bottom row, you see the CMX512-3200C2 part number that is the 512M stick.

In the RAM type column, you see 32Mx8 = 256M and denotes that the stick uses 32M chips and has 8 of them on a side. The Organization column notes 64Mx64 that it has a total of 64M (2 sided -- chips on both side of stick) by 64bits communication of data. It might help to look at the 256M stick of memory or the row showing the CMX256-3200C2 part number several lines up and you see the organization is 32Mx64 (chips on only 1 side of the stick). That isn't too clear but hope you can get the gest of it and where some of the numbers come from in the 2 items you have.

Now related to the 2 items you note, the first one "CORSAIR MEMORY XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series 512MB 32MX8 PC-3200C2 With Heat Spreader" is clearly Cas2. But I can't see if the second one is or not. (I think that is what mjones73 may have been suggesting.) If the second one were Cas2.5 then I would expect it to cost less than the first one. So, I don't have a clue why the second should cost more.

You can go to the Cosair site above and surf around. I tried and couldn't find the second item you noted. :eek: :D

Last edited:
Back