• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLK-800 fan question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

7yler

Registered
I recently purchased a SLK-800 /w some AS3 for my +1600 AROIA 0213 Y, I have not yet purchased the memory or motherboard but I do know that I will be using Corsair XMS3000 C2 and an Abit KX7-333r. Anyway I hope to overclock this CPU to atleast 1800 mhz, maybe 1850. I know to get to 1900 and above I would need watercooling or an very loud fan.

So I was wondering what is the best fan for this situation? I was thinking of a 80mm Sunon that does 3500 RPM, 50 CFM, and 40 dBa. Is this enough to reach 1800 mhz? If 40 dBa is too loud how well would a 80mm Panaflo at 2950 RPM, 40 CFM, and 32 dBa cool? Also is there a chart to measure dBa figures with everyday sounds? If there are better fans than these that aren't too loud please tell me. Thanks for reading and hope you can help.

nah

im pretty sure I don't need 72 cfms. Do you have the figures of the dba @ 50 and 40 cfm?

A 50 CFM Sunon should be good enough paired with an SLK-800 to get you to around 1850 MHz. I wouldn't run the vcore much higher than 1.9v with an aircooling setup.

The Tt Smart fan 2 is good but too noisy for me above 4000rpm (max 5300+) is is possible for you to use a larger fan and adapter - your ears will thank you for it. ;)

7yler. Although you might not need 70+CFM, the advantage of an ajustable fan beats a fixed CFM fan. If you are trying to acheive 1800+ you might need say 60CFM. If that were the case you would have to purchase an additional fan.
The noise level of the Smart fan II is reasonable, even at 70+cfm.

Da Whip said:
7yler. Although you might not need 70+CFM, the advantage of an ajustable fan beats a fixed CFM fan. If you are trying to acheive 1800+ you might need say 60CFM. If that were the case you would have to purchase an additional fan.
The noise level of the Smart fan II is reasonable, even at 70+cfm.

Yes, the benefits of having adjustable fan speed far outweighs its noise.

The noise level of the SmartFan II is quite low:
17 dB at 1300 rpm
48 dB at 4800 rpm

At 1300rpm it does 20.5cfm. At max, it does 75.7cfm.

yes take it from an owner who has used a vantec tornado and my current smartfan2 on the slk-800.

With the vantec tornado fan you can get load temps of 36c while with the smartfan 2 at full rpm you get load temps of 48c at 3500rpm you get 51c and keep in mind that the smartfan 2 is very quiet even at full speed coming from the deafening vantec fan, also at 3500rpm the fan is almost silent.

12am said:
yes take it from an owner who has used a vantec tornado and my current smartfan2 on the slk-800.

With the vantec tornado fan you can get load temps of 36c while with the smartfan 2 at full rpm you get load temps of 48c at 3500rpm you get 51c and keep in mind that the smartfan 2 is very quiet even at full speed coming from the deafening vantec fan, also at 3500rpm the fan is almost silent.

i find it hard to believe there is a 12 degree difference between the two fans, that would be remarkable. considering the smart fan 2 is 72cfms and the tornado is 85... right? if that were the case i think i would definatly have a tornado. :confused:

Question - does the TT SF2 vary its speed gradually as the temp rises, or is it just those two speeds?

It has varied speeds. There are three functions that you can set the fan to.
1. Max Speed- this leaves it at 75cfm
2. Temperature controlled - attach the temp probe somewhere and the fan will vary its speed according to the pre-programmed settings.
3. Control Wheel - a resistor with a wheel attach so that you can manually adjust the speed to whatever you likee within its range.

Wow, from the spec sheet it only sounded like it would go to the two ends of the spectrum (silent and blows little air, the other being a banshee almost Delta-like), but I couldn't find info if it varied between them. Thanks for the info Lazerin :beer:

No worries
What do you mean by whether it varies? I can tell you that you can manually set it to do any cfm between 20.5 and 75.7.

lazerin said:
Here's a graph that might help you
Ah!! That's what I meant :) I was sketchin 'cause everyone was raving about it when I didn't see any indication that it would gradually spin faster as the temp rises rather than just having two possible speeds (high and low). The possibility to manually set to high and low is also nice, so I don't have to buy two different fans, one for the summertime (a la Tornado) and one for winter (Papst, Panaflo). Knowing this, I am fully interested in this fan. Thanks again :cool:

Back