• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP Pro lock ups!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

84 CRX

Registered
I have done everything I know how to do (which is not much with this operating system) and Win XP still locks up. (Stops responding, screen freezes, mouse doesn't move) I have to do a hard restart. I have yet to go 24 hours whithout having to restart my computer at least twice. When I run scandisk under Windows ME on the Windows XP hard drive I keep getting the same errors.

SOFTWARE LOG
SECURITY LOG
SYSTEM LOG
NTUSER.DAT

I just did a fresh from a formated hard drive with no problems. Loaded my video card with no problems. loaded the on board sound with no problems. Everything was running fine. I went to bed and wake up to a locked up computer. Would someone please help me????

Hmm . . .

Were you overclocking? If so, reduce it to stock and see if that'll help. You might also wanna try running your RAM at CL3 rather than CL2 and see if that works.

If the mouse cursor bites the floor along with everything else, then it's either

-Critical hardware failure
or
-Heat problem.

ThePerfectCore said:
If the mouse cursor bites the floor along with everything else, then it's either

-Critical hardware failure
or
-Heat problem.

It is OCed. I will drop it back down to stock. I will also check the ram settings. As for hardware failure or heat problems, I don't think so. Windows me works great and my system is water cooled.

well I had the same troubles with winXP Pro a few weeks ago and it turned out to be too many processes running at the same time. I would check that out first. Im going to assume you dont know how to get to it so I'll explain that. All you do is CTRL-ALT-DEL and click the processes tab and take a look at what's running. if there is something you dont want running you just disable it. Here is an excellent page of all the services that come with XP and might just be hogging cpu and ram on you for nothing. http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm Be very carefull when turning off services though, you can cause more troubles then good. You can get even deeper into this sort of thing by typing services.msc at the run command.

I would also right click on my computer and select properties. Then go to to the advanced tab. Then in the Performance spot click the settings button. You should get a performance Settings window pop up for you. The only one of all the things in there that you need to make windowsXP look like windows XP is the very last one. It's called "use visual styles on windows and buttons" all the rest are just gonna hog up your ram and cpu power.

I hope this helps out a bit for ya, I know it fixed XP Pro for me.

I will try that also. I want know if any of these fixes work untill I walk away from the computer and let it sit for some time.

Welcome to the forums...
Iv been having trouble with XP on my new machine... keep us posted on what works for you... at this time im just running 2000.. i would rather be running XP..

Cheers
Charlie

64Thunderbolt said:
Welcome to the forums...
Iv been having trouble with XP on my new machine... keep us posted on what works for you... at this time im just running 2000.. i would rather be running XP..

Cheers
Charlie

I will. I probably want know if it worked untill tomorrow when I get up.

well i dont know about the what the other guys said, but I know that I can leave my comp on for over a week with out a reboot now. It worked for me, but that dosent mean it will work for others. Everyone has a different setup in their machine and they all react different to different things.

It didn't take very long this time. It locked up again! I used the comfiguration for "safe" and set my processor back to default. Is there anything else I can try before I go back to using Windows ME?

Have you updated XP via the MS update pages? I remember seeing an update correcting a problem associated with XP lockup due to UPS interaction problems.

84 CRX, it was a long shot. I'm running XP in a dual boot and have yet to be impressed. Have many problems myself and use Win2k as my main system. Good luck!

It may be a driver issue,Go to the event log and look to see what XP records in there often it will show you what the problem is.

Right click on my computer select manage now select event viewer
Click on application review it see what is giving you trouble.Then click on system and see what is causing you issues.I had a bad time with True Vector from my zonealarm and had to switch to nortons firewall cause of crashes with I had with zonealarm....

What kind of power supply do you have, that could also be the problem. Also i had the same problem and artifacts used to come up then it would freeze, so i had to get a new video card.

Scarface01 said:
What kind of power supply do you have, that could also be the problem. Also i had the same problem and artifacts used to come up then it would freeze, so i had to get a new video card.
I agree with "Scarface01" running all your stuff (SOYO DRAGON+ Athlon 1800XP locked to 1756mhz. water cooled, 4 IDE hard drives, 512meg DDR, DVD-ROM, DVD-RW, Raidon 8500 ETC) is going to tap your psu especially if its older. You could try pulling some stuff out (pci cards and any extra roms) to test this theory!?

Stedeman said:

I agree with "Scarface01" running all your stuff (SOYO DRAGON+ Athlon 1800XP locked to 1756mhz. water cooled, 4 IDE hard drives, 512meg DDR, DVD-ROM, DVD-RW, Raidon 8500 ETC) is going to tap your psu especially if its older. You could try pulling some stuff out (pci cards and any extra roms) to test this theory!?

I think I have fixed the lock ups. I hope. Woke up today and it's still running. REGCLEANER seemed to work great along with the earlier configuration settings in safe. I am now running at 1725mhz. Voltage at 1.90. My power supply is an Enermax model EG651P-V(E) MAX 550w. I think some of the problem was too much voltage to the processor with the pot voltage adjustment. My 5v reading was between 1.65 to 1.71 which was causing my hard drives to crash. What would be realy be nice is a motherboard that keeps the PCI and AGP in specs when OC'd!

Back