• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Real life's kept me away

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FRANK

I haven't been able to contribute as much lately due to other things going on but I should be slowing down a bit shortly and will be back more frequently in a week or two.

With the kids starting school, my "real" work taking more than it's usual share of my time and the sudden death of a family member, I haven't had the time to peruse the forums as much as I like. Fortunately, other than a few little hic-ups, I've managed to keep my SETI production up.

I work for myself and lately I've been working from 7:30AM until 1 or 2 in the morning trying to get these jobs completed.

But the real kick in the groin was my first cousin, 3mos older than I am, went into the hospital with a stomach ache, three days later he was diagnosed with cancer of the pancreas, lungs and liver. At first they gave him two years to live. As the days past the prognosis got much worse, the next day they said he had 6 mos followed by 5 mos the next day. Two days later he was down to 2wks. Ten days after he went into the hospital he started chemo and had a stroke two days later. All told he was in the hospital for 14 days and never did get home. This has been a very tough time for me as we had grown up as close as some brothers do. We played ball together as kids, hunted, fished and played golf as young adults, he was the best man in my first wedding.

As painful as this was for me to watch, my heart bleeds for his wife. Although her and I have our differences, she stayed right next to him throughout the entire ordeal and has had to go home to an empty house once the people have gone away.

Times like this are a real test of your resolve, it helps put things into their proper perspective and make you realize the truly important things in life.

I've got to go hug my kids now.

FRANK

Truly sorry to hear that. It reminds you how precious life is, and how quickly it can be taken away. My mother was diagnosed with cancer last July. She has undergone nearly a year of chemo and radiation. She barely made it to my wedding, and even though she was there she was extremely uncomfortable. It has been very difficult to deal with and puts a damper on every aspect of our lives. I honestly believe it takes something like this to make you fully appreciate life and realize what a wonderful, yet fragile gift it is.

We'll be here when you're able to get back into the swing of things.

Very sorry to hear about your cousin. I know how life throws curve balls and have been in your shoes. My father died of cancer about 5 years ago. He was my best friend, racing partner, and drinking buddy. I may never get over his death. Bummer as that sounds. But he was the key that held our familiy together.

Hope all gets better soon.
r12

right now SETI should be the last thing on your mind...spend some time with your family...we'll be here when you come back

Frank- I am very sorry to hear of your loss of a cousin and friend.

I have given up trying to comprehend the differences in life. I just try to take a day and hope to see the beauty of the sky and trees and flowers and think that we are fortunate to live on this planet no matter how few days we are given.

Harvey

Thoughts and Prayers

Frank,
Please accept my family's deepest condolences for your loss. Our prayers go out to you and your family as well as his widow. Know too that your extended "family", all of your teammates here, are ready and willing to provide whatever support you need to help you get this tragedy into some type of perspective that you can deal with.

Respectfully,
SkyHook

Thank's for the kind words guys (girls?), sometimes that's all it takes to lift the spirits.

THANKS,
FRANK

Frank, well, i'm speechless. (in fact, i'm not that kinda person to how to put my feeling into word.....) so, all i'm saying is "I'm sorry, my friend!! And best wishes to you & your cousin's family!!! I'm sorry!!!"

My condolences, man, it truly does suck.
My family has gone through a sudden death recently as well- a cousin was killed in a traffic accident on the way to work. He is survived by a wife and 3 young kids, and while my own personal grief is pretty strong (we were pretty close most of the 80s) I feel terrible for his wife, kids, AND his mother...
Its a terrible thing to lose someone close to you, and words aren't enough....but they do help a lot.

Back