• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got a bar of aluminum, ideas?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RoadWarrior

Hi guys,

Just picked up a bar of aluminum that's about 3/4 inch x 3/8 inch x 5 ft long at a yard sale. I was thinking I could cut some RAM sinks or VID-RAM sinks out of it, or something. I could set my table saw to cut 1/4 inch deep, and saw slots in a length of it, then chop it into smaller lengths according to use. Maybe I could cross cut it as well. But since I'll have to leave the fins fairly thick I think to avoid probs and the cut width will be around 1/8 then crosscutting might not leave much metal standing.

Anyhoo, any other ideas? got plenty of the stuff to screw around with.

Road Warrior

Hmmm... Good idea, you might also try makin a chipset coler or sound card heatsink, I know I had to put one on my Audigy and when I get my audigy plat I'm gonna put one on it too. Also heatsinks for the backside of a vid card might not be a bad idea.

a cross drilled memory waterblock
like they said all the random heatsinks
a cool harddrive rack
uhhhhh network card heatsink.
the basics you know.

i'm thinking you should trick out your case!
a pair of polished aluminum racing stripes on it or something!
here's the funny part: im not kidding!

anyway, i think that it would look tight on the outside of the case. what color is the case?

Cut the block in half, then using a router, bore a maze shape thru it, in the other half drill and inlet and an outlet, there ya have a water block :D

Yeah it's not really a shape that one might consider making a one piece water block out of. 0.75 ins wide .... .... ....

I did think I might be able to stack a load of cutouts to be bolted together and try a block like that.

i just had an idea, but i dont know how hard it will be to pull off.
cut the bar in 3" peices and drill 4 holes straight through each so that they would line up. then make 2 end peices with inlets and outlets and channels for the water to go from one set of holes to the next. it sure would be an interesting way to make a water block because it would require much less milling. it would really only require drilling and very minimal milling. i'll draw up a rough schematic if i'm not being clear.

i think this is similar to what you were talking about road warrior, but its a little different at least

Back