• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with Windows Installation error!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soundfx4

I'm having a BIG problem with my pc here, it keeps giving
me a system error when I try to install windows xp. Here
is the situation:

I have windows xp installed already, everything is working
fine, then I decide that I want to try and get a new
driver for my keyboard (I was bored) because my keyboard
has internet buttons and I thought it would be cool if
they all worked. (A few did some things, like one muted
my sound card, another opened up the calculator, and one
other opened up my home page) Anyway, I thought I would
try to get a driver for the keyboard so that all of them
would work. I did something stupid and installed a USB
keyboard driver for a PS/2 keyboard. Anyway, needless to
say my keyboard stoped working, and so did my mouse. I
tried a bunch of different stuff to get it working, but
nothing helped. Anyway, finally I just decided to do an
installation repair, because I have had to do this before,
and have never had problems with it. Well It got to the
part where it asked for my cd key! And my keyboard still
decided it didn't' want to work! My mouse was on strike
as well. Just great I thought, so I tried plugging my
Mouse into the usb port instead, and it worked, but
unfortunitley my keyboard is ONLY ps2. :( Well, anyway,
I shut my computer down (the next stupid thing I did) and
decided I would borrow a USB keyboard from someone the
next day. When I tried to get back to the install and
continue it gave me this very unfortunite error message
that I have NEVER recieved before:

lsass.exe - System Error
Insufficient system resources exist to complete the API.

This error wasn't up for but maybe 1-2 seconds before my
computer restarted. I had to take a picture of it with my
digital camera to see what it actually said. I have included the picture as an attachment (21KBs) Anyway, I'm stuck now with only the family computer. And I'm thankful I have that or I would really
be screwed. Well, thanks to anyone that can help me out!

james.miller said:
ive never succeeded with installation repairs. i alway do a new installation over the old one.can get into safemode now?

Naw, I can't get into safemode. The installation files are on the hard drive, so it boots them and not the os. I don't know what to do. I have had to do installation repairs so many times, and this is the first time this has actually happend. I have heard about this error before, and it isn't just a windows xp error, it can happen when upgrading any windows os I believe.

ThePerfectCore said:
Try running the repair installation from the XP disc again?

I have tried that too :( it does the same thing over and over. Thanks for the suggestion though. I don't know how long it will be before I can see my beloved desktop again... :cry:

Awwwwwww...... man! That sucks! :mad:

Oh, you wanted some more help? :D
Okay...
Can you press Ctrl during the bootup to get to the command prompt? or use a boot disk? Can yiu set the BIOS on fail safe settings? A format seems needed here, sorry... I hope the keyboard works in dos...

I would try to enter the bios and disable USB support and restart once restarted use system restore to delete that driver.You may have to use the USB key board but I doubt it.

I have tried disableing USB, and I can' t get to a system restore. Also, what is the bios fail safe? Isn't that the thing that says Halt on errors? If so, what should I set it to? Thanks

Ohh, I forgot, now it is saying that the C:\WINDOWS\System32\Config\system file is missing or currupt. It also says that it was moddified 9/03/02 And that was the day it started showing that error. I NEVER touched any system files. Maybe I have a virus, I don't know. I have done tons of tons of scans, and have been very carefull. :( I don't know what to do. I think I am going to switch to MACs, but that means no more building my machines :cry:

BIOS fail safe----->press delete when you turn the pc on to get in the BIOS, you should see the fail safe option right there. It is like running it at stock speed and memory timing are a bit slower but sometimes helpful when you're having trouble.

Don't waste your money on a MAC. Your PC is not dying, it just has an aggravating problem that a format will surely fix. :)

PS, change that halt on error to... NONE!

soundfx4, try running an install...not a repair...when it gets to the point of asking you how you want to format the system, choose to leave the current file system intact. This should clean install over your existing install. You will have to re-install your programs, but you should be able to recover most of your information...

takiwa said:
soundfx4, try running an install...not a repair...when it gets to the point of asking you how you want to format the system, choose to leave the current file system intact. This should clean install over your existing install. You will have to re-install your programs, but you should be able to recover most of your information...

I may try that, although I'm afraid that it might still give me that error. I won't know until I try though. Thanks for the suggestion!

Heat said:
BIOS fail safe----->press delete when you turn the pc on to get in the BIOS, you should see the fail safe option right there. It is like running it at stock speed and memory timing are a bit slower but sometimes helpful when you're having trouble.

Don't waste your money on a MAC. Your PC is not dying, it just has an aggravating problem that a format will surely fix. :)

PS, change that halt on error to... NONE!

Oh, you mean the fail safe thing that shuts down the PC if it reaches a certain temp? Ok, I'll turn that off, and my halt on error thing is always set to none :)

soundfx4 said:
Ohh, I forgot, now it is saying that the C:\WINDOWS\System32\Config\system file is missing or currupt. It also says that it was moddified 9/03/02 And that was the day it started showing that error. I NEVER touched any system files. Maybe I have a virus, I don't know. I have done tons of tons of scans, and have been very carefull. :( I don't know what to do. I think I am going to switch to MACs, but that means no more building my machines :cry:

The information above is not true anymore. I am now able to get to my windows desktop...if you can even call it a desktop. It is completeley screwed up, and nothing is where it is supposted to be. There is good reason though, my registry is no more, bye bye! But Luckily I do have a backup of my registry. Although I'm not sure how long ago I made the backup. Oh well..

sounds like you need to burn your info off of that hdd and do a reformat/reinstall asap....

takiwa said:
sounds like you need to burn your info off of that hdd and do a reformat/reinstall asap....

I didn't have to format, but I did do that thing that you mentioned in your previous post. I installed it over the other installation, and it worked great! I have all my files, but my settings are gone. I am cuurrently reinstalling programs and changing settings. Also I am using system restore this time, because I learned that it backs up important system files! Like the ones I lost!! :beer: I turned system restore off before because it wasn't as good as I wanted it to be, and it was taking up hard drive space. I instead used norton ghost, but my system was too big for me to back it up alot :( so anyway, I'm using norton ghost, AND system restore now. Well, thanks for all your help people, this case is closed :D

Back