• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

anyone living or lived in AZ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ss69nova

I am thinking of moving to peoria arizona. but just looking for some first hand info. Any info on az would be a help.

I know this is a werid question to ask but i figured maybe some one would have some info.

thinking of driving there to check it out but it is a long trip form upstate ny. Maybe make a few it stops!!

BTW i just made top 300. Almost to where i can start opening a can of whip a**

I have not lived there, but my dad did for a couple of years while stationed at Luke. He liked the desert once he got used to it, but of course it can be hot as hell, although it's also a dry heat which doesn't slap you in the face like the humidity does here.

yeah i kind of figured it was time to put ac in my 91 ford ranger. I have been looking into it for a while. I guess it would be a good thing. It will double the value!

Personally I like it a bit farther north. We have property in the four corners area just north of Durango, CO. We haven't built yet, but I'm planning on relocating there when I can. I like the weather and the scenery is hard to beat. There's not a lot in the way of work there though. I get the impression the people that have relocated there have already got it made, so to speak. That or they just have vacation homes - lots of Californicators as the locals like to say. If at all possible I recommend a drive up highway 550 from Durango past Purgatory, through Silverton and Ouray. Ouray is featured in magazines all the time as the ultimate location for outdoor sports enthusiasts. Telluride is a short drive in a good 4X4 over Imogene pass, or one other pass that's not quite as bad (still need 4X4 with low range for braking) but Telluride is also big time expensive. It's like Aspen for that area of the state.

Tell me where Peoria AZ is.

I've got experience with Mesa / Tempe / Pheonix / etc. area, and some Tuscon. I live in Cali, do some work in AZ. October 19 there is a powerlifting competition in FT. Haurachuka (spelling? :) that I will be going to an hour from Tuscon.

I grew up in upstate NY, capital district area.

Its much, MUCH, MUCH wetter in upstate NY than the areas of AZ i know of. AZ is a desert. NO water. NO rain. LOTS AND LOTS of sun. Good golf courses if you like that sort of thing.

For MOST people, there are much less allergies in AZ than most of the rest of the world. No water = desert = fewer plants = less pollen. Many people move there just for that reason. Parts of AZ get a few MONSOONS each year (late summer I think). = A storm that lasts for a few hours and floods EVERYTHING before it can run off. Like, closed roads with FEETS of water in them. Just a couple of these, rains real hard for a few hours, then sunny again.

It gets HOT. Like, 120 F hot. So you just DO NOT GO OUT from 10 to 4. :) Stay in the airconditoning. BUT it is dry, none of that NY humidity that makes you sticky at only 70 degrees. :)

Driving will take many many many days from upstate NY. Did it a long time ago sharing the back seat with brother and sister. It took a long time. :)

Don't know if I could personally stand the heat. If you can, its great. Dry, no allergies, sunny, fun, sunny.

IMHO the people there are generally more fit (uh ... HOT) than some other places. Bathing suit wheather, all day, everyday, will do that to you. :)

There are some parts near the mountatins were its cooler, there are trees, and you can see some snow in winter.

AZ state is one of the fastest growing states, I think Phoenix is top3 for fastest growing city.

Useless trivia? There are more insurance glass claims (mostly chipped windsheilds) in AZ than in any other state in the USA.

Congrats on the top 300. I'm new, but hoping to join you in that can 'O whoop A$$ someday. :)

BTW, thinkgeek.com actually sells cases of whoop A$$, no kidding. Bascially its soda, but you can really open up a can. :)

Its here:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/caffeine/3669.shtml

Have fun,

Peoria is on the westside of the valley.. Near Glendale, SunCity, etc..

The "valley of the sun" is hot, dry, and dusty..
The wages "suck" out here, compared to NY. Although the cost of living might be lower but you get what you pay for..
Don't forget, we're right next to the "open border" so you might want to learn some espanol..
Buy some tall boots for scorpion and rattlesnake protection..Better safe than sorry..
And don't forget to get a wide brim hat, the skin cancer out here tops the nation..
There's hardly any entertainment out here.. Movies, bowling, bar hopping, hunting(when there aren't any "fire restrictions"), fishing(when there's water in the lakes), and adultery..

That's Az in a "nutshell"..
Not to mention the corrupt state goverment..

If you're into evaporative cooling (bongs and the like), AZ is a really good place to be.

I use evaporative cooling on my house in Utah, USA, where it can drop the temperature almost 30 degrees below the outside temps. Utah isn't as hot nor as dry as AZ, so anything evaporative will do very well in that neck of the cactus woods.

evaporative cooling? What is that all about?

none1 just keep chugging along and you wil make it to the top. I hope to be in the top 200 in about two months. Welcome to the team.

Thanks for all the info.

Huckleberry said:
If you're into evaporative cooling (bongs and the like), AZ is a really good place to be.

I use evaporative cooling on my house in Utah, USA, where it can drop the temperature almost 30 degrees below the outside temps. Utah isn't as hot nor as dry as AZ, so anything evaporative will do very well in that neck of the cactus woods.

Do you know what "monsoon" is?

Back