• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

after unlocking whats the limit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gingaaar

Hi all,

I may be a bit stupid (according to the missus, thats an understatement) but I dont understand somthing about unlocking athlon xp processors....

If you increase the fsb, the the rated speed can cause problems with the motherboards peripherals...(how do you spell that?)

If you unlock a chip, your just multiplying the fsb, so the peripherallala's are not a problem.

So WHY isnt is possible to go 12.5 x 148 = 1850Mhz if you have the proper cooling?

my chip being a locked 1600xp at 10.5 x 133 = 1400 (ish).

I have actually increased the fsb on my machine, no probs, dead stable at 148FSB.

So increasing the multiplier shouldnt cause any problems should it?

welcome to the forums

your clock speed is getting up there, i'm able to run my 1600 @ 152x12.5 with no problems. obviously you understand (fsb/cpuclockmulti=chipspeed) so if you are running 148x10.5, you aren't at 1.4, you are at 1554. depending on your chip, it's possible you could run 148x12.5 or more with no problems. just have to see how far your individual chip will go. and remember, you gain more performance from a fsb increase than from an increase in processor speed. so you want to find the highest fsb you can run at stable. keep moving that up slowly until it seems unstable then back it off a couple notches. good idea is to run at the fastest fsb you can without haveing to ease of on the memory timings, you want them all at their fastest if possible. then back off the fsb, so you know it's not going to be what's holding you back. and start moving the multiplier up and find out how fast your chip can run. then you can find the combination of fsb and multiplier that will give you your fastest stable fsb and your fastest stable chip speed. sheeeeeeesh. i feel like i just wrote a book.

check out the sticky's at the top of the page and good luck with your o/c!

cor thanks...

thanks for that,

Yes I was understanding that I have successfully overclocked the xp to 1500+MHZ but I couldnt understand that when I surfed the web looking for advice on unlocking most people were unlocking then sticking at very low fsb speeds like 133 and 138.

can you answer me this question please?

increasing the multiplier should cause any real increase in temprature compared to increasing fsb....

right or wrong?

Re: cor thanks...

gingaaar said:
thanks for that,Yes I was understanding that I have successfully overclocked the xp to 1500+MHZ but I couldnt understand that when I surfed the web looking for advice on unlocking most people were unlocking then sticking at very low fsb speeds like 133 and 138.
can you answer me this question please?
increasing the multiplier should cause any real increase in temprature compared to increasing fsb....
right or wrong?

The sole purpose of 'unlocking' is the ability to change the multiplier to a lower value, and increase the FSB- because generally the default multiplier is too high to use in combonation with a high FSB. Higher FSB will yield more memory bandwidth.
As far as folks unlocking their cpu to only run 133 or 138 MHz, seems foolish, but you may have to consider their board may be incapable (various reasons) of high FSB speeds, so instead of unlocking to decrease their multiplier, their unlocking to INCREASE their multiplier to take advantage of the higher frequency their CPU is capable of overclocked. Lastly any increase in clock frequency or voltage leads to an increase in temperature. An increase in tempature decreases CPU life expectancy and decreases overclocking abilities of the CPU.

-PC

Ahhhh..... that would explain why my old p3 coppermine ran at 800mhz for a while on stock heatsink and fan and then slowly but surely got more unreliable.

Still, it ran a lot cooler than this xp1600.

So let me get this right. your saying that higher fsb and lower multiplier is the way forward? (assuming that I cant increase the multiplier)

yes. by lowering the multiplier you lower the clock speed of your cpu. so lets say a 1600 wich is multipier 10.5 X 133 fsb = 1.4ghz. you lower the multiplier to 9 so 9 X 133= about 1.2ghz. but your chip can handle atleast 1.4 so you raise your fsb to 155. this give you the 1.4ghz clock speed, but now your pci slots, and your memory are running at 155 mhz transfer rate instead of 133. so you keep cpu clock speed the same but increase the speed of everything else. except your harddrive. that really increases over all speed. now that you have down that, you can overclock you cpu. raise the fsb to 166=1.5 and so on. finding the perfect balence between multiplyer and the highest possibly fsb. but remember heat killsssssssssssss. always watch to make sure you stable and not to hot. hope i got it right and it sound readable.
ryan

gingaaar said:
So WHY isnt is possible to go 12.5 x 148 = 1850Mhz if you have the proper cooling?
Do you have enough voltage? IF you are confident you have sufficient cooling adjust your VCore to the maximum attainalble setting & see what happens & its also a better idea to increase the multiplier a step at a time & run stability checks each time you increase the multiplier.

Could it be that you have a bad unlock? This could also be the cause of your system failing to POST or get into the OS. Double check your unlock job & test the different multipliers at default clockspeed & the higher ones at 100MHz/200FSB just so that you know they work.

Can it be that your CPU will not do 1850MHz? You might need extra voltage via voltmod. Not all chips overclock the same & you may have a bad overclocker.

Can Your PSU handle the added load of running at that clockspeed? What does your 5V rail look like? When it dips below 5V you will have problems in the long run & anything below 4.8V will limit your O/C.

and the DDR?

Ok,

I havnt unlocked it yet, the processor is only 2 days old!

The DDR memory I have is PC2100.

Is increasing the DDR voltage a good idea and will this improve stability?

Does DDR memory overclock very well? what can you expect from it?

Thanks for all your help, I am out of bed only 5 mins ago and
allready I have ordered a TAK68 fan and I am on the lookout for silver conductive paint :)

I think it should be unlocked by this time tomorrow (or blown up)

Some of us stick at 133 because it keeps all our peripherals in spec. I can inch up to 137, but beyond that I start to get some instability. This is due in part to my chipset. I also suspect that I may not be getting quite enough oomph from my power supply. But extra 4mhz of fsb just isn't worth running out of spec to me. I should note that my cpu is only rated at 100mhz, so I'm running an accellerated fsb, I'm just running at an fsb that's in spec for the rest of my system.

nihili

Back