• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got a Alpha P3125, Need ideas 4 modding it to fit a Socket A

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-J-

Registered
a friend gave me his old alpha p3125 cause he couldnt use it on his new procesor.

so i decided to try adapting this beast to my socket a mobo.

if anyone saw something like this before, plz post the link.

need some ideas to make this thing work.

You'll probably have problems fitting a 120mm-wide object onto the mobo without it running into something. You'll probably have to cut it down to size.

Once you do that, you can drill holes in the right spots on the 'sink and hold it in place with the Socket A mounting holes.

Nah, dont cut it. Get a copper spacer plate that is thick enough to raise the heatsink over the capacitors and such. 3/4 inch or so is normally needed. a 2x2x3/4 inch copper plate would be fine. www.onlinemetals.com has lots of different thicknesses and such for copper plate. Also the extra thickness will give you better performance and take alot longer to have your cpu warm up and such. Basically what you would expect from a massive amount of copper. Just that you would need to use the 4 hole hold downs otherwise it would be to heavy for the socket lugs.

actually, i've found several mobos that actually have the necesary space for this HS. the real problem i got, is making a new clip that is able to hold this thing steady.

im afraid that if the clip aint strong enought to hold it, it may crack my cpu's core.

find a stock socket A HSF that nobody wants and use the clip from that, usea drilll to dril a hole and shove it in and than position it and there ya go. it's proly not this easy, but you should be able to get it in there or sometihng, maybe take a spacer palte, cut a trench in it, put the slip in he trench nad atatch the plate with the clip in its trrench to the HSF.

I have seen a p4 home made heatsink made out of two of those side by side, 3/4 inch thick 2 inch by 2 inch copper spacer plate. That way they got over all the capacitors and such. Was one of the first to hit 3ghz on air with a p4 and close to first since a 3/4 inch or possibly 1 inch thick it was would be able to buffer a ton of heat. They used bolts and such to bolt down to the motherboard though. I am working on a monster home made heatsink from four skive heatsinks and using 3/4 inch thick x3x2.5 inch copper slab. HEAVY copper and its a pain finding a way to get a hold down for it other than drill through it and bolt down to the frame of the case. I would make a heat cap~copper cap and epoxy it on so you can really tighten the bolts without worry about cracking the cpu. Hope this helps

Back