• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cache upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
im going to go out on a limb and say no you cant

from what i understand the l1 l2 cache is on the die its self or close to it

yeah it's on die, and it runs at the same speed as your chip too.. so if you have a 1.53 ghz xp it's running 1.53 ghz! That's some fast memory

The only chip you can modify the L2 cache on is a mobile Athlon 4 (Duron)....The cache is in fact there, however it's been disabled down to 64KB or 128KB from the actual 256KB. It can be modified by closing all the L9 bridges and manipulating the L2 bridges. Closing all L2 will enable all 256KB of L2 cache.

-PC

L1 cache has been on die either allways, or since at least 486 CPU's. If you have an old enough computer, then you can sometimes upgrade the L2 cache, because it was on the motherboard, rather than the CPU. I set my mom up with an Asus board that came with 256K L2, and a slot where you can add another 256K. Moving the L2 cache "on die" made for a big boost in performance.
For more info, read The Fundamentals of Cache.

repo man11 said:
L1 cache has been on die either allways, or since at least 486 CPU's. If you have an old enough computer, then you can sometimes upgrade the L2 cache, because it was on the motherboard, rather than the CPU. I set my mom up with an Asus board that came with 256K L2, and a slot where you can add another 256K. Moving the L2 cache "on die" made for a big boost in performance.
For more info, read The Fundamentals of Cache.

athlon slot a "classic" had 512 off die cache

Back