• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Make your own transfers, decals, graphics ....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RoadWarrior

Hi guys,

Here's a trick I know from model making days, making your own water transfer decals, but with a modern twist.

What you need is some paper that has the water activated self adhesive backing (i.e. lick and stick, davar was the brandname in North america I think) looks shiny on the adhesive side. Get some sheets large enough for your intended design with about an inch at least all round spare. I'd guesstimate that you wouldn't want to try this on anything bigger than about 4 inches for a first try, and larger than 6 inches becomes increasingly difficult.

Now, tape the paper to a flat surface adhesive side up, and give it two smooth coats of cellulose laquer on top of the adhesive. leave it taped down to dry so it doesn't distort. Now, the conventinal method here is to carefully draw and paint your graphic onto this surface, but we is 'pooter freaks, so screw that. So howabout we print a graphic on it? Now if you have a thermal wax transfer printer you might be able to print on the glossy surface, or some type of inkjets may manage it pretty good too, as long as you're real careful not to smudge. Experimentation is called for here. So what I would recommend is either giving it a coat of satin finish laquer, or very very lightly rubbing at the surface with a very fine grit paper (like 1000) and roughing it. Dust it off very carefully before you put it in your printer. Now print the graphic you want, using the highest colour density you can, effectiveness of design may depend on the colour background you intend putting it on. If you have a printer that is quite accurate at printing in the same place twice if you reload the paper, you could print a faint outline of the design then fill it in with white paint by hand before printing the design over the top of it when dry. That will be the best plan when you are applying to a dark background. So, let the printing dry very well, and now with spray laquer, coat carefully give it two coats over the top of the printing. Some inks will start running if you get it too wet, try backing off with the spray can and giving it several very light coats. Some inks will survive brush painting, again, experimentation needed with your particular ink.

Now, you have your own decal ready to apply to your case or or whatever. Those of you who grew up making Revell and Airfix kits know the routine now. First you cut out around your design, then you place it right side up in a tray of lukewarm water and wait for the adhesive backing to soften. It may help to place a large design if you wet the area you are applying it to with water that has a slight amount of dish soap in it. Now when the decal slides on the backing, very carefully take the whole thing out of the water , backing and all, keeping the decal from sliding off yet. Now you bring it up to the area you wish to apply it to and very carefully slide it off the backing paper onto the object you are decorating. Smooth it out very carefully, dab creases and bubbles out with a damp lint free cloth. When it is positioned perfectly, let it dry on, wipe up any soapy water around it. When it is dried on, you can either leave it like that if it is something that will get very little wear, or you can spray over with laquer to protect it and fix it more permanently.

So, there's a way to get your favourite design onto your modded box. Remember this technique will work best for bold designs on light backgrounds, and soapy water will make large designs easier to apply. Enjoy and good luck.

Road Warrior

Back