• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Heatsink for the Socket A??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chop

I need some help. I have read many of the other post, but still not quite clear as to what heatsink is the "best" for the AMD Processor? I know it is all geared around peoples opinions, howeveer, does one perform better than another? I have tried many HS fan combos with a socket 370 board, and made some conclusions, but haven't had time to play around with the Socket A, My case is well circulated, and I have a 1.2 GHz tbird. It seems like there are a few that perform good, but the fan appears to be the big winner. I have used the Delta fan in the past, but retired it due to the jet engine effect. Sorry!! Please offer some strong suggestions and list the results of your opinions. Thanks guys.

I have seen some muxed reviews of the CORE, overclockers.com gave it quite a bad review and got high temps from it where as most of the over sites have said it cools really well

Most of the major brands are within a few *C of each other. Alpha, Swiftech, FOP, Vantec, Tasiol.I It is just according how much noise you want to hear as the high whining 60mm Fans roar. I had the PEP 66 with two 26cfm Y/S fans pushing & pulling through the unit.

Switched the the Swiftech 462A uses a 80mm fan mount. It was a lot quieter with the 39cfm Paniflo vs the Delta 69cfm even with the rherostat on low. Of course it was not as effective in lowering the temp.

Pat

If, by best, you mean the best money can buy, get the Swiftech MC-462A for an air cooled solution.
-or-
Go with water cooling. That is the best technical solution I can think of.

If you mean best bang for someone on a budget, then it gets a lot tougher, since there are so many good candidates out there. If I didn't have this 462A, I would go with the Taisol CGK742092, but toss the stock fan and use an 80mm Panaflo 47cfm fan on it. The Taisol is a big forged HS and would benefit from an 80mm fan. Adapting the 60mm mount to 80mm would not be too great a challenge.

I know, buy my 462A, so i can get back into experimenting. I miss experimenting.

Hoot

FOP38. It comes with the Delta Black Label at 7000 rpm, but it is by far the best. But like you said, it does make "noise". I run it with one case fan that blows directly onto the HSF. My proc is in danger of freezing at idle (gross exageration, but a good indicator). I am pleased, even with the noise. I don't find it objectionable, even with the case sitting three feet to my right at monitor level. My case even has perforations in it on the side facing me. Cheap enough too. I paid $30 at a trade show for the whole thing.

The best so far rated by overclockers.com is the millenium. You can still find a link to it on the main page. Bear in mind this won't be available for several more weeks but you can place a pre order with them at the website. It has outstanding numbers. Joe compared it with watercooling. Check it out if you get a chance. It's all copper with a very low profile compared to most "big" HSF. I'm ordering one because it's the only fullblown OC HSF I can fit in my case. (PSU sits over the CPU socket)
Good luck.

How much for your Swiftech MC-462A ?

Hoot (Mar 27, 2001 09:41 p.m.):
If, by best, you mean the best money can buy, get the Swiftech MC-462A for an air cooled solution.
-or-
Go with water cooling. That is the best technical solution I can think of.

If you mean best bang for someone on a budget, then it gets a lot tougher, since there are so many good candidates out there. If I didn't have this 462A, I would go with the Taisol CGK742092, but toss the stock fan and use an 80mm Panaflo 47cfm fan on it. The Taisol is a big forged HS and would benefit from an 80mm fan. Adapting the 60mm mount to 80mm would not be too great a challenge.

I know, buy my 462A, so i can get back into experimenting. I miss experimenting.

Hoot

I don't want to piss off the moderator, since there is a place for classifieds, but $70.00 will take it. Split the shipping. It's only a few weeks old. Consider this. It might influence your decision. In the interest of accurate temperatures, it is drilled for a thermal sensor which sits on top of the core, dead center. To me, it is a plus, but to some, it might be a minus. Oh yes, I'll throw in a rheostat to vary the fan speed.

Hoot

Wish you woulda posted that 2 weeks ago, hoot. I have ordered (and am still waiting for) an MC462A at a cost of $87.75 w/shipping but w/o rehostat.

Two weeks ago, I was madly in love with it ;D
The problem is, it's just to damn good at what it does.
I enjoy experimenting with cooling solutions. There's not much to improve upon with the MC-462A. I did get a small 24V centrifugal fan that I'm going to experiment with. Centrifugal fans are so much better than axial for blasting cohesive air and they do it a lot quieter.

Hoot

Thermoengine.....
its got great performance and is under the max recomended 250gm socket weight.
reasonable price to (i paid $45 aus) for mine and our dollars up **** creek at the moment

look everyone.... the hsf combo does a lot, but case cooling is the biggest thing most people forget... i have a pal 6035, with the quiet sanyo denki... love it, but with my speeds, i need a better fan... thinking a ys-tech or...god forbid... a delta, but i plan on noiseproofing my new full tower over the summer :) ... hahaha. no noise pollution... that and 2 PSU's... and prob. over 12 fans, but i have a program that will analyze airflow, so i will have to see...
Enough chit-chat ::::::::::: personally, i love my alpha... but get the ystech if you want a balanced combo... delta if noise isnt an issue, and the sanyo if you dont want to hear anything, but have a little less performance....

Shark

Back