• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Duron/TBird Comparison Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaillum

righty.... from the start... i've got a TBird AXIA 1.0 running at 1.424...9(9*158) I've just *ahem* 'aquired' an unlocked Duron 1.0, that the guy had running at 1.300ish... now on an MSI k266 DDR board, bearing in mind the Crucial memory that does 158 FSB easily with the TBird, which would be a better cruncher... I'd like a little advice before I go rippin the box apart an making my times worse.. :)

cheers guys....

I took a look through the Benchmark list and couldn't find any direct comparisons......so I'll be doing some (slightly educated) guessing to give you an opinion :)

But it looks as though a Duron/TBird comparo with the same clock/fsb speeds would favor the Duron a bit ( I don't have a Duron, btw.)

The biggest factors really are fsb and memory timings: a cpu that is 50mhz faster will be barely noticeable, but if you kept the same clock speed and ran the FSB 20mhz faster that would show up quickly....

I know what you mean about not wanting to shut a rig down to change something and lose production.......I started by just adding one more system so I could mess around with stuff, and look at me now :)

AXIAs are pretty darn good cpus, so unless that Duron can run at really high fsb, I would think the TBird will be faster.

Hows that for a completely indeterminate answer?:D

Enough- Since I like to tinker with stuff I say you have to try it; get another rig set up if you can, but if not....you still have to TRY, just to find out (but thats me !) ;)

noobie here- Why would a 1.3 GHz Duron beat a 1.47 GHz TBird? If it's a Morgan Duron, does the data prefetch really offset the fact that it's got 1/4 the l2 cache of the TBird?

yes it will. a morgan duron will out crunch a t-bird. a DDR t-bird around 1.4-1.5G would ave. 'bout 4hr/wu. a morgan duron could get it down to 3.5-3.75hr/wu.

Durons are faster. My little 1.1 duron smoked my T-bird. I had my Bird at 1.6ghz for a whille and it would do high 3h times. The Duron at 1266 did simillar times, at a 300mhz disadvantage. IS your Duron a Morgan or a Spitfire?

The XP core that is in the Morgan is simply more efficient than the old T-Bird core. I have a 1.4 T-Bird at 1.575 and it seems to average just under 4.5 hours, IIRC. I have an XP 1800+ at about the same speed with a lower FSB, and the XP is about 25% faster. FSB is a lot, but it isn't everything.

Last edited:
Like Greg said, the reason why are they are faster is because the technology put into the core of the Morgan is much more advanced than the T-Bird since it's a newer generation. The Morgan are identical to the XP's without the cache and the copper copper, Morgans have aluminum.

Just for comparison, my 1.0 Morgan oc'ed at 1.3 with not a very good board (Asus A7M266 AMD 761 Chipset - Bad bandwidth), tied a Tbird at 1.65gigs 170fsb, and I was at 172.

Glack.

Yodums

righty ho'.. its a Morgan, 5 L1 Bridges, so i'm gonna have to experiment...

an if that works, gonna have to think about another cheap board and memory for the TBird... well, its a shame to waste a 6-7 woo a day pc;)

kaillum said:

an if that works, gonna have to think about another cheap board and memory for the TBird... well, its a shame to waste a 6-7 woo a day pc;)

Connect all the L1's to connect for maximum fsb with a pencil (Very easy). Connect the L11's for maximum voltage (1.85v).

The Morgan were a sweet deal back then but right now it has to be the XP 1600+'s!

yep, the morgans smoke the tbirds easily

i ran my 1.2 and at stock speed and fsb it was getting similar times to my tbird 1.4...

since its unlocked, drop the multiplier, up the fsb and watch that puppy fly! :burn:

kaillum said:

I know how you feel but ..... don't ya just have to dump the Tbird? The athalon 1600+ XP is just SO much faster...... once you get a board, ram, memory, etc. to put that tbird in ..... how can you resist only $50 more to put an XP in it?

how can you resist only $50 more to put an XP in it?
i know, but xp1600's are still around the £55 mark in the UK, and if I spent the extra on an xp1600, then i'd feel obliged to get another board and memory for the TBird - because it was my first real overclockable proccy, and with it being an AXIA Y its not something I could dump or sell... its just to good a chip to not get working.....

oh well, time to have a play tonight... and see what I can get out of the Duron.... times will be posted when i get it back and running... :)

Back