• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Audio Buffer problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UnseenMenace

UnseenModerator
I keep getting the symptoms of a audio CD skipping during playing, the audio has a temporary break or pause then continues, the problem occurs with all CD's no matter which player im using which makes me believe its a buffer problem with my linux installation ( SuSE 8.0 ).
Any ideas on how to solve this problem guys ?

You could just rip them to WAV, MP3 or OGG files on your hard disk (done via drag and drop in the audiocd browser).

David

How is your sound setup? If you're using ESD I would bet that's the problem, if you are you need to start ESD with a flag to allow other applications to use the sound device when ESD isn't using it, then your cds will play directly to the device. It could also be a poorly supported sound card.

**edit**

You've also got to tell your cdrom to use OSS

Last edited:
to be honest i have no idea how my card is set up its using alsa as installed with suse 8.0 on default how can i find out.. what information is it that can help you to help me ?

Last edited:
Well, first see if ESD is running (ps aux | grep esd) Also start up xmms, under preferences check to see what the output is set to, either OSS or ESD, if it's OSS I would bet it's the sound module.

Back