• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

where do you buy your metal?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr. Chambers

working on a custom case (yes still :p) but was wondering where you guys buy your aluminum? i'll need it in 1/8" or POSSIBLY 1/4" inch sheets..

check your local yellow pages for metal supply...Hoem Depot and other places of the like carry some but are expensive.. metal supply houses will be cheaper. Most metal supply have minumum order requirements, if you can find a surplus metal house that would be best.

Cheers:beer:
Charlie

well i want it to be as light as possible, also thinner aluminum would be easier to work with i think at least.

Local Local Local

As you can imagine, shipping large sheets of aluminum that you're just going to cut down, will simply add to the cost.
The shop may even have smaller scrap (for CHEAP) if you visit them in person. Especially since they usually deal in HUGE quantities.

i just bought a bunch of non sheet aluminum and itll be here tomoro from onlinemetals.com

Online metals is good, but if you're ordering tube or anything else, they charge a hefty cut fee. Also, shipping is high (though reasonable for heavy metals)

McMaster is a great company that I try to get stuff from when possible. Fast shipping.

Try scrap yards or recycling places. I got a 15ft alumnium canoe for $50 from one, and its made entirely of 1/8 alumnium sheet. also the cheapest canoe ever

look for a local metal superstore, or metal supplier. I needed a sheet of aluminum for some Speaker Badges, I got a sheet of about 4"x8"x1/4" for a buck...Canadian. Yay scrap metal bins at metal suppliers.

550M said:
Try scrap yards or recycling places. I got a 15ft alumnium canoe for $50 from one, and its made entirely of 1/8 alumnium sheet. also the cheapest canoe ever

I do this too and you can even sell other metals too them and then use the money for what you want to get.

recycling is the best place but you gotta search.

Back