• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

any one ever try a 80mm to 92mm fan adapter on a heatsink ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drewthomas14

any one ever try a 80mm to 92mm fan adapter on a heatsink? i am thinking about doing this b/c i would like to get more air with less dba. i dont really want to use a 80mm to 120mm fan adapter because that would be heavy and take up a lot of space. if any one has ever used a 80mm to 92mm adapter, does it work well?

The problem with adapters is that you tend to lose air flow from the restrictive nature of the adapter itself. A better solution (one which I do myself and have found works very well) is to duct air directly to your CPU from outside the case via a side blowhole. The duct can be made from a variety of materials (I use a cutup large Taco Bell cup, but you can use pretty much anything). It also helps if you have a fan at the beginning of the duct pushing air towards the CPU fan.

i am already planning on ducting with a 120mm fan on the side of my case i was just wondering how well a 92mm fan would do on the heatsink

Back