• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which one u would recommend 1900, 2000, 2100 or 2200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

marinkog

hi,

maybe its a stupid question, oh well
I wanna build my my first AMD system
and I was thinking to go with XP 2200+
but after reading some of reviews I got confused,
what do you think is gonna be a good choice??
and what motherboard would you recommend??

thanx

Well... lessee... There's not a HUGE price difference between them right now. I settled for 1900's because that was the best deal at the time, and it's still not a bad idea. I was going to go for 2200's, but decided to save $200 and spend it on power and cooling instead. Hopefully IWill or some one will tell us if we can use something faster than a 2100 in the MPX2.

If you don't have to have this thing now, wait a couple months. 166FSB will be officially supported, boards with /5 and /6 divisors for RAM will be available (or in the pipeline), and high-speed RAM will come down more in price (as will the CPUs).

But if you wat something NOW,... well, I really don't think there's any motherboards out there worth getting right now. This MPX2 is a good board, but it will never do 166FSB, and maybe can't go any faster than a 2100. (It's the best current dual board, in my opinion, thanks to the new chipset.)

For a single CPU system, I just don't see anything worth anything at all. I was considering a single 2200, but there aren't any decent boards. They've all got something wrong (from my point of view). I would have recommended the new MSI KT3 Ultra 2, but there was something wrong with it, and it turned me off. (I forget what it was; once I reject something, I utilize those braincells for something else.)

The second generation NVidia chipset looks good; definitely worth waiting for, but worth buying? We'll find out soon enough.

So just wait till something decent comes out.

marinkog said:
hi,

maybe its a stupid question, oh well
I wanna build my my first AMD system
and I was thinking to go with XP 2200+
but after reading some of reviews I got confused,
what do you think is gonna be a good choice??
and what motherboard would you recommend??

thanx

Wait at least a month and go with the XP 2400. They are expected to overclock pretty well.

Newegg.com had the 1600's for a really cheap price a week or so ago. I am not sure if this deal is still going but the 1600 is a really good overclocker. If you aren't going to overclock then it all depends on how much money you have and are willing to spend.

my XP1600 performance can beat an XP2500 for only $52 :)
Oh yah, I have not unlock my chip yet

thanks guys for replies,

I was thinking to get XP 2200 but after reading reviews,
I don't think you get a huge difference from the bellow lower models,

can someone recommend which lower model would be good and I thought motherboard MSI KT3 Ultra would be a good choice,

what do u think guys?

thanks

if ur not gonna wait i dont think u can go wrong with a kt333 mobo and a 1600+ xp (hopefully agoia Y)

Well, I am actually thinking you might do better with the 2400+XP, which is now available on pricewatch. This will be fastest even if you don't overclock, and will be even faster if you do. (and it will overclock a lot better than a 2200XP, although it's about $60 more....) If you must go cheap, though, get a 1600XP from newegg... they do 1743MHz almost guaranteed! (of course you'd have to overclock to get that.) And they're only $52
As for the board, try to go with a KT333 board from Abit, Epox, or Assus. These companies produce stable, high-performance, good overclocking boards consistently. MSI is probably in fourth place, but it is fairly distant.
The Epox 8K3A is about the same price, and I firmly believe it is the better board. It has all the MSI has, with the exception of a CNR slot, which is something you won't use anyways. (And it has another PCI slot, which you might use.) Additionally, the 8K3A is proven among overclockers, and will reliably hit 166fsb+ overclocked. MSI is hit and miss as far as overclocking goes, at least in my experience.

KT333 boards such as these will support pc2700 DDR, giving you greater bandwidth than pc2100, while older boards won't. I might suggest getting two pc3200 modules though, because dual DDR 400 is just around the corner for both AMD and intel, and you want these to be able to work in a new computer if you upgrade. Additionally, these will overclock well if you decide to do so. Be mindful of the brand of memory, too. Corsair XMS and Samsung are good purchases at this speed.
AVOID memory by GeIL, OCZ, and OC System! These brands rarely run at their rated speed, even with excessive voltage. Lots of people have problems with these brands... (or should I say "this brand" considering that they are all the same company...) I once bought a OC System "PC3000". It didn't work at the rated speed, I couldn't get ahold of them to RMA it, and I tore the heatspreader off and found a pc2100 sticker underneath!

One more thing... don't skimp on the cooling with these processors. Check the heatsink reviews on this site, and buy only one of the best... with AMD, you need it.

thanx guys for useful info,

I've decided to go with XP 1600, since XP 2200 is $145
on what other parts should I spent the rest of the money $100??

and now I'm not sure which mobo to chose MSI or ASUS
I know ASUS is a well know brand name, but MSI won on some tests,

thanks

right now is a very bad time to buy an AMD motherboard. to overclock well a /6 divisor is needed which none really have. Even the new KT400 boards that are just hitting the shelves dont have it. There is a chance that maybe some of the later made KT400 could, maybe from Abit or Epox. If you wait another month you could get an nForce2 but the first nForce was a bust so the second might be as well. however it will have the /6 divisor as well as some other featuers that make it promissing. Anyways if your going to upgrade its a good idea to wait a month.

marinkog said:
thanx guys for useful info,

I've decided to go with XP 1600, since XP 2200 is $145
on what other parts should I spent the rest of the money $100??

and now I'm not sure which mobo to chose MSI or ASUS
I know ASUS is a well know brand name, but MSI won on some tests,

thanks

Good decision. I was surprised that I did not see anyone going with the xp2000 out of the ones originally listed. I would have gone with the xp2000 for starters. I think your decision to get the xp1600 is an excellent one. If you are new to this game then an Epox 8k3a might be a very good board for you. This would allow you to play some (and learn) while still offering good performance as well as adjustable (fairly high) vcore and ram voltage. I would definately recommend the board, learn something about oc'ing on the cheap xp1600 (very good performer for the money) and hang out for a good chip to put on the motherboard. Things in the computer world seem to move at a very fast (and costly) pace and hanging out for awhile could save you a good piece of change. Get the motherboard and the xp1600. BTW, should abit be recommended, it is a better board than an 8k3a in the right hands. Some vmods have to be made to make it perform at that level though. Take Care.

Minimum requirements for an overclocker:

FSB is adjustable in 1 MHz increments, upto 200 MHz

CPU multipliers are accessible

PCI divisor of /5 (soon to be /6)

Vcore adjustable to 1.85V

CAS adjustable to 2 (from 2.5)

2+ DDR sockets for PC2700

Now how many boards support all that? Several, actually. Off hand, I know the KT333 chipset can do these things, but not all KT333-based boards will let you do all these things, so read carefully.

I promise this is my last question :D

from all those mobo I don't know which one to chose
MSI, Epox or Asus,
I've seen lots of people in CPU Database use Epox for XP 1600
I don't know if that's gonna be a good choice or
I should go with stable Asus or even MSI
what do you think?

thanx

Back