• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can someone help me network?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ndnsoulja

Registered
hi, i have two computer one w/ windows xp and one with windows 98. i have a cat 6 crossover wire and iwanna share some files. but im not sure how to do it. i did it to the point where the computer see's it self but won't see the other one. if your willing to spend some time and explain it to me how to fix this or start all over and make it work..id really appreciate it. i think i did it right on the windows 98 but i don't quite know how to do it on xp. on 98 i right clicked on network neighborhood and i added a client and went to the property of the network card and made an IP address. now its not the same on xp. so if you can help me out or tell me if i did anything wrong i'd appreciate it.

Both PCs will need to have identical workgroup names. Both PCs will need to have file sharing turned on, XP has this disabled by default but there is a wizard that can walk you through getting it turned on. For the Windows98 machine, it will need to be set for Windows Networking in Network Properties.

Both PCs will need to have a folder or drive shared, otherwise there will be nothing to see.

As far as IP settings go, set one PC to an IP of 192.168.0.10 and the other to 192.168.0.20. Subnets for both should be 255.255.255.0. Gateway address should be blank since no internet sharing is needed.

To keep problems to a minimum, disable any firewalls that are running on both machines. Most all of them block access needed for sharing files by default.

hey first off thanks for replying. i really appreciate it! and i don't quite get what you mean by "account in the XP machine for the 98 machine to gain access."...do you mean create a same user and password name when you log into windows?

ndnsoulja said:
hey first off thanks for replying. i really appreciate it! and i don't quite get what you mean by "account in the XP machine for the 98 machine to gain access."...do you mean create a same user and password name when you log into windows?

You will have to create an account on your XP machine. When you access the XP machine from the 98 machine, you log into that account.

WinNT/2k/XP are all host operating systems. You will need permission in order to gain access to it. So if you plan on using one username and password, use them on each machine. If you are using a different username and/or password on the 98 machine you will have to put that same account in the XP machine so it will allow the 98 machine access.

That's the down and dirty about it.

Back