• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Questions for a dedicated F@H machine...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JudgeDredd

I just have a couple of questions, as I'm thinking about building a dedicated F@H machine.

Firstly, I don't mean to start an Intel vs AMD war, but trying to decide between AMD's FPU power and the overclockability of the Northwoods is pretty tough. I'm sure some veteran folders here can help me out.

And second, whatever I decide, would going SMP really make a difference? As I would have to run two instances of F@H, would it really be worth it for the extra cash?

Thanks
-JD

For a DEDICATED folder you want AMD, period. YOu can get an XP 1600 for under $60! Get an Epox 8K3A and you can run that CPU locked at at least 166 x 10.5 I have a dedicated folder with that setup at 1807 Mhz on air. A dualie will obviously give you twice the folding power at about 30% price premium over a single CPU. I guess the funds would dictate which route you go but I would not get an Intel for folding, no "war" intended!

Back