• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will I need a shovel?? I have 2 172watts pelters and new kit coming....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PimpDaddy

Registered
I am going down to speedj's pad on the 20th 21st and 22nd of this month!
we are going for broke but not sure if i did enough homework. I think i order everything i need.

4 80mm fans
2 40mm fans
430 psu Enermax
maze2-2 water cooling kit (the works)
2 172 watt pelters 24.4 volts
digital doc 5

what is i missing i can use the new psu for the 2 pelters but after a little more looking i think it won't be enought power sh@t that would suck.

the pelters will not be stacked they will be side by side so that should work out easyer but not sure about power.

post any ? then you need to find out so i may answear them so you may answear mine LoL.

thx

p.s. has any one down a dual 172 watt befor? i hate being at 60c. when i get under or sub we will see what my 1.33 axia will do i hope 1.8 or higher

what exactly are you trying to do here?? This is some serious stuff you are putting up. Side by side peltiers, won't that worsen the cooling at the cpu core where the joint between the two peltiers are?? And how in the world will you attach this thing to the mobo(duck tape is not a valid answer).

Sounds like you have the basics of an incredible oc setup. Would be a bit helpful to know some more though.

I have the same stuff on the way. Assuming I can rig a suitable PSU for the pelts, it's going to be an interesting weekend.

What's the spec on the peltiers? If they consume 172 watts you are going to need a hefty psu to power them both. You say 24v, is that for the two in series? If it's 24v each and 172 watts each you'll need about 16 amps total, anf that's not allowing for any headroom, preferably a 20 amp minimum psu at 24v - can we say big momma.

The pelt's will need a minimum of 344 watts of power, and even though you have that Enermax 430 watt psu it's 12v line will only be a portion of the total power - so unless you want to seriously stress it I wouldn't strap two pelts to it. I would suggest a seperate power supply for the peltiers to get the best from them, they have a sweet spot where they work at peak efficiency, underpowering gives less heat pumped and overpowering generates more heat within the peltier - a variable psu would be really what you want, that way you can fine tune the system.

Will both of those pelts fit on a cold plate, side by side? Don't forget the conformal cote or equivalent, insulative foam, dialectric grease, fire extinguisher, etc. ;D

Hoot

Take a look at the pics at www.dangerden.com . The new 2.2 block is attatched to the cold plate with screws and the cold plate is tapped for the four nylon mounting bolts. Nylon bolts go through the motherboard and the springs and nuts now reside on the back of the motherboard.

The 172 watt pelts draw about 11 amps at 24 volts. Might just need a Dynamotor to run them!

I'm trying to work out an exchange deal with Astron to swap the LS18A for a VLS35M. If I were doing this again from scratch, I think I might just connect some old computer PSUs to get the 24 volts.

well i have a new 431 psu and a old 250watt ,125watt but they say you should use the same size psu **** i will have to ordera new 431 psu that is costly

also hwo do you tell if it is a atx psu or a at does it matter witch one i get?
not sure witch one it is on the new enermax 431 is

sweet setup, i looked at dangerden's site and saw what you are talking about, i have to get one of those for my comp :). Lots of power needed though.

The deal is done on the VLS-35M. It puts out between 5 to 32 volts with 27 amps @ 28 volts. You can see it here http://www.astroncorp.com/w28.shtml . Lest you think I am a fool to spend $360 on a PSU for pelts, there are two other factors. One, Astron was willing to take back the LS18A and two, the VLS-35M with its adjustable voltage can also be used with my radio equipment. An added bonus is being able to easily tweak metered voltage and current to find the pelts sweet spot.

you are insane...i love it. =)

what kind of p/s is needed for just 1 172 watt pelt? where to buy? able to keep up with a tbird?

You will need 24 volts and 11 amps. New PSUs sell for between $140 and $190. On the cheap it's possible to combine the 12 volt lines of two computer PSUs to get 24 volts.

Yeah I thought all this up 3 months ago before their were DangerDen 2.2 waterblocks and stuff. www.tedist.com has the same peltiers. Too bad I didn't have a socketA system back then (still don't), I would have made history :) Really the amount of electricity it will take to power the peltier makes it not worth while for me though. Your talking about using around 400W of power for just the peltiers! A 15" monitor only uses 120W! The bearings in your power meter are going to wear out. :D

Jeff Evans (Apr 04, 2001 09:11 p.m.):
Yeah I thought all this up 3 months ago before their were DangerDen 2.2 waterblocks and stuff. www.tedist.com has the same peltiers. Too bad I didn't have a socketA system back then (still don't), I would have made history :) Really the amount of electricity it will take to power the peltier makes it not worth while for me though. Your talking about using around 400W of power for just the peltiers! A 15" monitor only uses 120W! The bearings in your power meter are going to wear out. :D

@@@@ you say that know but when i hit 1.8 or higher you will bow down LoL i hope i hit that high

Stupid Question!!!
Stupid Question!!!
Me reckon i'm gonna do about the same thing
w/ the northwood 1.80A (there's only one stepping so far).
This thread is a little dated, but it still applies...
When hooking thy 2 Drift .8 density TECs (172 QMax),
do we want to do them in series or in parallel?
I understand that if 2 devices are in series,
they require 2 times the VOLTAGE,
wheras if they are in parallel, they
require two times the AMPERAGE.
True, or Not True?

In SERIES, the - DC voltage is put to ONE AND ONLY ONE
Peltier hookup. The "OUT" of said pelt is hooked to the
"IN" of the second. The "OUT" of the SECOND is hooked to the +DC.

Whereas parallel would have all 'ins' tied to the + volt, and all
'outs' tied to the 'out' - volt.

Simple electronics, but i don't wanna blow anything up...
Just makin' sure... Heh.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back