• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alright, need some overclocking advice here, P4-related

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Audiofight

I have been out of the overclocking scene for a little over a half year now. The last system I had overclocked was a watercooled Duron 600@950

Never could get 1 GHz out of it.........Anyway

I have finally gotten the itch to dump my TBird 1200 and go up in the world.

I want to buy a new P4/mobo/hsf

I need recommendations for the best combination to do it on. I am prolly going with one of the following procs

1.6a
1.8a
2.0a
2.26B

The two recommendations I have received thus far for mobos:

Abit IT7
Asus P4S533

Any other extremely oc'ing friendly boards out there? I will be using PC2700 (Samsung). So, my fsb will be up around 170 or better. That is why the 1.6a is looking really nice to me.

My recommended hs/f are:

Alpha PAL8942
SLK-800

Anything else?
Thanks in advance.

I would say 1.8a or the 2.53 and shoot for 3gig if you can afford it:).I have a P4B533 board with no "E" and its an excellent overclocker.It has all kinds of tweaks and very stable board.It doesn't have raid,lan or fire wire if that matters then get the P4B533-E.It doesn't have 4:5 ratio but you can get 3:4 above 132 by simply flipping dip switch 6 on in the motherboard,1:1 will be 3:4 and 4:3 will be 1:1 .There are some other good boards like the BG7,4G4A+ some people are having luck and other not so good luck with,but its a nice board with a few ratios.Also the P4B533-V is a good board and a couple of others.I don't like the sis chipset.You cant lock your agp\pci at 66.66/33.33 so you might run into trouble.

I think the 2.26B is the route I am going to take.

I will prolly go with a 845 chipset based board.

The Asus is at the top of the list, unless I can find another board w/ similar features for less money. I won't buy another Epox board, they suck IMO. I have had nothing but problems with them and my friend has RMAed 3 of them now.

Anyway, thanks so far guys.

How come no mention of the P4 2.4 GHz chip? The price is now the SAME as the 2.26 GHz, is the 2.4 not a good overclocker?

How come no mention of the P4 2.4 GHz chip? The price is now the SAME as the 2.26 GHz, is the 2.4 not a good overclocker?

The 2.26 has a lower multiplier

CaptBill

Yeah. I checked the database and saw that the 1.6a and the 1.8a is hitting some of the same marks that the 2.26 is hitting along with the 2.0a

If that is the case, why spend the extra $30-50 for the higher rated chip when both should hopefully hit the same "ceiling" when it comes to overclocking.

To me, the whole point of this is to see how much performance I can achieve for as little initial investment as possible.

Oh well, I am looking at the following boards:

Abit IT7
Asus P4B533 (Not the "E" variant due to higher cost)

Any other boards other than Epox that has the wonderful I MHz fsb increments and the voltage controls?

Audiofight

I'm using an ABIT It7/P4 2.26@2949/173FSB if that'l help you any,although it's not really Low budget!

Right, but in order to get those speeds from a 2.26 chip you need some better cooling. So if one could OC the 2.4 say to what is the max, 2.9 right, it would be rather safe with the stock HS and Fan? Since it's only a 500 Mhz OC...and you could probably do it with DDR 2700 too...(I'm just guessing here), I don't know much about the 2.4, other than the price is really attractive right now after the price cuts, even more attractive than the 2.53 is...

I'd like to achieve 2.8 or 2.9 without anything radical like water cooling, etc...and I had thought a 2.4 might fit the bill. Seems though the 2.26 MIGHT be the way to go however...

I am going to find a mobo

Pick up a 2.26B chip (If I can't find something else cheaper first)

and grab myself a Alpha hs/f or something comparable to that. I have never been a fan of an OEM hs/f

Back