• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

w2k ADMINISTRATORS please help me!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

o770

im in trouble trying to make my internet connection usable under one "restricted user" account. this is one problem, the other is i cant have a display resolution under this account different from the one i have under the administrator account.

the problem about the internet connection relates to something about the service "Remote Access Connection Manager". the service is set to be started automatically under the administrator account and it will also load automatically under the restricted user account, but whenever i try to start the connection under this restricted account i get a message saying of something about this service that cant be loaded.
its a PPPoE connection, and windows doesnt show that service logging on as LocalSystem under the restricted account.

so is there a way i can work around this problem, and have my internet connection usable under this "restricted user" account? or do i need an account with more priviledges?

the other problem about the display resolutions: do i need to have set the same resolution to all accounts?

thanks a lot!

ive made a research for info on setting up multiple user accounts under W2K and its no easy to find out what is causing me such problem.
i cant yet to solve anyone of both, but i hope i can elaborate that about the internet connection a little better:
so, the question is - can i have the services that will not be logged on as LocalSystem under one restricted account to be set to a LocalSystem log? so that i have it running normal either under this restricted account and the administrator account?

another question is - to anyone who have one "restricted user" account running on their system: could you check if you get started anyone of the services not logging on as LocalSystem, under the restricted account?
thanks!

the other about the resolution, doesnt anyone know about if i can or i cannot have two different display resolutions to two different user accounts?

I think you should be able to setup the computer any way you want sounds like you want to use win2k as a domain controller with users adn accounts and to admin them from another location to make sure they don't do it.

research domain controllers and setup the way you want it.

Otto a few things that could also be causing your problems could be that you have restricted out the dependent services for your remote access connection manager service. Check your dependencies tab and follow out the paths and make sure that they are all available to that profile. Another problem could be that you need to make sure that you add and enable full control for the system group for that profile. I would think that the easiest way to have different resolutions for different users would be to add a tweaking utility and run it at startup for only that user with the settings applied as you want.

hope this helps

i will research domain controllers and check what i can do.
the whole thing is so simple, the problem is i dont want my parents to have the right to install programs or damaging system files etc, but i need them to get access to the internet. so i would need this "restricted user" account theorically, as far as im concerned.

there is a way to get the access to the internet logging on as thie restricted account: its by checking an option right at the logon window to do it by internet (or something like this in English). but the problem is that the internet connection will be active and running all the time, under this account.

turd, i tried that about the dependencies and set them all to be started automatically, no goal.
and i cant give this account full control because thats just what i dont want it to have.

ill keep this alive if i ever get any update to it.
thanks for the replies!

i got a temporarilly solution, which will probably be definitive nonetheless. i will have this restricted account combined with "advanced user". this seems to work the way i need once i get the access to the internet and all services loading up just like as the administrator account, while modifying system files and installing/modifying programs isnt possible.

Yes but I think that by giving full system control to that profile you are not giving it to the user

also you could set up the account and give it full access, get your IE the way you want, then go to
RUN \ gpedit.msc\user configuration\administrative templates
and from there start clicking on folders and you can really lock down your user

Back