• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Personal Server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FunkDaMonkMan

I'm on cable, is there anyway I can set up a server on my comp w/ a password, so i can access my files when I'm away?

what OS is it? XP comes with remote desktop. or u can use pc anywhere. Or u can setup a FTP server.

AZN

well then FTP it is...
who is ur ISP? ATTBI allows 6 emails and 10MB per email for web hosting pics.
its very easy to setup and can be managed by a FTP program.
http://home.attbi.com/

AZN

funkdamonkman said:
how should i set this up?
Just be carfull. I know my ISP does not allow FTP server's to be setup with there residential internet service. I've got Charter Communication's. Beside's there Upload speed is only 128k. And that's to deter people from setting up of Illegal FTP site's and illegal file tranfering. It's Lame if you ask me.
Although can they see if you set up an FTP site if your running behind a router? I'm not sure. Does anyone know this?

funkdamonkman said:
This sig is over 11,000 characters long... 100% of it typed by hand
Look out with this. Your asking for one of those nasty messages to replace your sig from the mod's telling everyone you need to read the rules on sig's :) LOL.

There is nothing wrong with XP's built in FTP server. It is the exact same FTP server and web server that Windows 2000 Advanced server uses....that 80% of the websites out there use.

I've already talked to the mods about my sig, and how can I set up XP's ftp server?

Put in your XP CD. Go to add remove programs, select add remove operating system components, and make sure all of IIS is installed, including FTP.

That should put it in.

Securing it's the fun part and if it's only for you and you need a hand with the permission and turning off anonymous access drop me a private message.

funkdamonkman said:
I've already talked to the mods about my sig, and how can I set up XP's ftp server?
I was just kidding :) I figured it was ok cause if it was'nt you'd already have that nasty message in your sig.

window 2k ftp server rock!! it was more secure than serv-u. u can see all kind of hack for serv-u ftp server. it's damn unsecure!!!

Uhh...Serv-U isn't that bad for bugs, just get the latest version.

There's a lot more bugs for Microsoft's IIS if left alone or installed straight from the CD.

Back