• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which one gets hotter...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NS13Stinger

Between the AMD XP and the P4, which CPU gets hotter during normal tasks. No overclocking, just ideling. I was told today by a co-worker that the XP runs WAY hotter than a P4. He used an example of a P4 2.5 and AMD XP 2200. Anyone care to tell me the "real" story? I believe he is saying this because he has the P4 2.5Ghz CPU.

The first generation of P4's ran at least as hot as any AMD chip. But the move to the .13 micron process for the Northwood chips gave the title back to AMD.

BHD

So, when I get my AMD XP 2600 here in a few weeks, what fan do you guys recommend to keep this baby cool when it's running normal or being overclocked?

to adequately cool an overclocke xp2600, you'll probably want an 80mm fan on a honkin alpha or thermalright heatsink (again, not too sure on amd stuff these days)...80mm's can get higher cfm while being quieter than 60mm's.

50cfm should do it, if you can handle the drone. i suggest watercooling if you're up to the task and have the cash.

jeff

Do you have any links where I can find the honkin alpha and thermalright heatsink? Do these have the 80mm fans attached?

But, what if I do not overclock the 2600 and just run it normally? (dull, huh?) Would I need the above fans/heatsinks still?

As for watercooling, not even thinking about that right now. If the 2600 runs this hot, I will settle for the p4 2.53Ghz...

yes that is a VERY good cooler....but are you sure that you could stand the noise of a 84Cfm 80mm fan...that thing will be LOUD!!! and for the most part annoying after a while...you may want to consider a rheostat so you can turn down the fan when you just surfing the net and when yo doing games and you got the music booming turn it all the way up:D

Spec

You shouldn't have trouble finding a good hsf for the 2600+. Around here we are picky about temps but as long as your load isn't well over 60c you wont see any probs(This'll start an argument for sure).
In the fall here Ive got a 120mm 121cfm fan on an ax7 that takes me to around 37C while surfing the web. A volcano on an ax-7 and some as3 should easily do the job with some oc'ing. 50cfm will probably also be fine if ya don't.
oh btw, for the secret to lowering amd XP idle temps 10C with a simple chipset mod, just pm me.

Back