• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLK-800 and alternate mounting??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zerrus

Registered
Heya,

I just moved up to the BIG HEAT CPU cornor... not going for water (yet), I still opted to use air cooling.

Doing so I picked the SLK-800 using a YS TECH 80mm x 25mm Speed Control

Is this too heavy to mount vertically with just a clip to the 3 lugs? I like ripping my case open and messing around, beginner in modding and all. Should I then try to look for a way to mount it though the 4 holes on the MB? Is there a kit to convert a clip HSK over to 4-hole mouting? Or anyone done it with the SLK-600 or SLK-800?

thanks...

I don't know of anyone converting to a different mount but further posts may reveal different.

I ran it for a while without a cpu shim and didn't have any problems. I did add a cpu shim later but if you do, remove the little plastic corner paste-on spacers that are supplied with the SLK800. The 3-lug mount seems to work fine.:cool:

The 2 lugs should hold the HSF unit np, but if you are still having second thought(like me;) ), do what I did: I use ziptie to secure the HSF unit to the fan guard of my PSU, so in case if the lugs broke, the HSF won't fallen into the videocard:eek: .

I just put mine on today and it feels really solid. Doesn't seem like it will ever fall off, but it doesn't hurt to take precautions like Kato said.

Yeah I will use some zip ties. See about adding some support. I do not see a big problem but I just hate to have my HSL fall off and bash about in my case :)

Thanks again for the replies

the clip on the slk-800 is quite stiff and the only real chance the hs will come of is if all 6 lugs get sheared off at the same time and I can't see that one happening, personally I see the fan coming off before the hs, thermalright really designed some crappy clips this time around, they are very flimsy and bend easily. It would have been nice to see the same quality fan clips that were included on the sk-6.

Back