• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how much can I o/c with this setup?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ganhosi

Registered
below is my new system, I would like to o/c this sucker...
one thing i'm concern is my power supply....only 250 watts
what's the highest CPU/FSB i can go with??? thanks

You definatly need to get a bigger psu before overclocking. What are you temps? If they are good, you maybe can bring that 1600+ to 166fsb. What are the steppings on the cpu?

With that power supply: probably not much:(

But you may do alright- starnger things have happened! AMD XP chips are very picky about power...the 5v line especially! If you do not have a strong enough 5v line you will be unstable at best.

And to tell you the truth, I AM surprised that an XP1600 will run well with that low a psu:) You have a very good 250w unit there!

As far as how well the chip will oc with a good strong 5v line- that is impossible to tell: if we knew the steppings we could guess and probably be close, but all cpus vary a bit...

300w psu is iffy, I'm also suprised its running with a 250W psu. Stay in the classifieds for a while and look for a 350 or more watt psu. I have a 400w psu, it nice to have your lines running high:D and 5v is exactly 5v:)

i might consider buying a new psu if it does help a lot........
i have another 300 watts sitting in the other computer

Ganhosi
if you wana know the steppin i have a nice progy PM me and i will send it to your email :)
here is sample:

General information:
Processor name: AMD processor
Speed: 1633.0 MHz

Internal vendor string: AuthenticAMD
Internal description: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1900+

CPUID-Level: 1 {8}
Family: 6 {7} (Athlon)
Model: 6 (Athlon)
Stepping: 2
Type: 0 (Original OEM)

Features:
MMX: yes
3DNow: yes
ISSE: yes

Internal cache:
Level 1 data cache: 64 KB
Level 1 instr. cache: 64 KB
Level 2 cache (unified): 256 KB

Last edited:
For our purposes, "stepping" refers to the manufacter code on the CPU die itself.

For example, the most popular "stepping" for the XP1600 is the AGOIA Y. I have a AROIA Y and I have it at 166 x 10.5 so far using a Epox 8K3A+.

POWER SUPPLY AND COOLING AND RAM is the 3 most important things in overclocking

you should NEVER use anythin smaller than a 350 if your cpu is over 1 ghz

it can cause more damage to your equipment then over powering it

thing is you need a 400watt true power antec or bigger

power is the key

with anything lower it WILL become unstable faster

hope this helps

i agree azzkicker.i got a jump in my oc's with a better psu as i did with adding h20! power is a key.

add motherboard moniter 5. look at your currant rail voltages. and watch em as u run a cpu benchmark. mine crapped out with a 300w psu.
but i do think u may get a decent oc, but shakey. around 150 mhz. thats 1550 not to bad really.

one suggestion. id swap the 300w spare you have in. and run all my case fans and such off the 250wt psu. just gotta put the jumper in to get it to switch on.that should help stabilize ya with a decent oc without buying anything new.

i did mine with a 300w generic on my fans and such. and a name brand 400w on my mobo and cards.this gave me a 130 mhz jump in my oc.will be crowded and ugly but it wont be so bad unless u have $100 for a new psu

Back