• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are there only 2 AMD boards the support AGP 8X?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

beavdabomb

Registered
I did a search on newegg.com for "AMD 8X AGP Motherboard" and all i got in return was Gigabyte GA-7VAXP and the Abit KD7. Are there going to be new boards released anytime soon that support 8x AGP? Can I expect a significant drop in boards that support 8x AGP as it becomes the new standard? I just want a board that wont be obsolete for a while and it would be nice if it supported pc3200 ram. I'm probably going to get a 1800+ cpu and then upgrade to a Barton later down the road...or should I wait for the Hammers before I build my computer? There are so many decisions, this computer should be bad *** and once its built I'm going to through this POS 366mhz Celeron computer in the trash. LoL! I know I asked a lot of questions, any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Well, I hate to disappoint, but 8xAGP won't really improve performance. And KT400 boards (and the corresponding pc3200) won't give any advantage unless you are running your processor with a 200mhz FSB, so be ready to unlock if you want your full performance. It's all a matter of bandwidth.
These boards are just coming out, so there will be more soon. If you're willing to go the distance to unlock and overclock, go ahead and get one of these. If you just want to throw a processor in and run it, wait for hammer.
If you can't stand a 366 celeron, overclock it, or throw in a celeron 500 ($32 shipped on pricewatch.) Maybe if you're lucky your board will support a 900 celeron at $48 shipped.

If you are going to buy a AMD chip right now and not wait for the exciting ones coming out over the next month and a half, the obvious choice is the 1600, and may i suggest that you buy one from newegg before they run out.

Caffinehog said:
And KT400 boards (and the corresponding pc3200) won't give any advantage unless you are running your processor with a 200mhz FSB
Heck, some KT400 boards don't even support the 1/6 divisor, for that matter.

Back