• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Peltier

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JoJoMoJo

could someone list a good reliable source for peltiers. Im currently running a koolance water cooling kit and need the next level of kooling to get past the 2.0 gigahertz mark. I understand Ill need a new mounting system and a cold plate also. Could ya make a recommendation on what peltier size ect....... Currently I am running a 465 watt antec power supply also, but it would be no problem to use a secondary powersuppy for the peltier if needed

Dangerden.com has a nice amount of pelts for sale. Their meanwell power supply is perfect for the 226watt, which is what I bought. Go with the 226watter if you have a non-slocket athlon. It'll drop your temps considerably.

This has nothing to do with the original question, but with the thread...

Some time ago I read about an extreme way to get some °C lower temps in an aircooled set-up. The idea was to epoxy the heatsink on the CPU. (nothing I would like to try, but it did give lower temps)
Anyway I figured that would probably aslo work on a peltier and coldplate.
But then I started thinking about the expansion... a peltier changes VERY fast in temperature, could epoxying it on the coldplate damage the peltier?

Uhhh it would work, but aircooled pelts dont really work. It's like a screendoor on a submarine.

There is a big article about it on the overclockers.com homepage under the "peltiers" subheading.

Hehe, yeah I know..
Well I wasn't going to air-cool it!
I will be using a waterblock to cool the peltier, I just thought epoxying the coldplate and peltier together could give some °C lower as long as it wouldn't damage the pelt...

Another thing!
The way things are now it looks as if I will get a 226W for my CPU and a 172W for my GPU. The 172W is rated 24V UMax. Now can I use 12+ and 12- on each pole to create a 24V potential or would that somehow resault in lower amps or something?

I'm actually pretty unsure about how to feed them the right current and voltage :confused:
Can anyone enlighten me a little? =)

If a PSU is rated 12V = 28A does that mean that the 12V rail always feeds 28A or that it has the capasity to?
And if I want more amps AND more volts could I take a lower +voltage and a high -voltage to get the higher amps from the lower-volt-rail and still a high differens? (that's similar to my above question about getting 24V)

For example: (+3,3V (26A) and -12V) = 15,3V (26A)

Or is that bullp00? =)

Last edited:
Finken said:
epoxy the heatsink on the CPU. (nothing I would like to try, but it did give lower temps)

yea i epoxied a heatsink to a celeron once... the temps were lower (4C).

Finken said:
Hehe, yeah I know..
Well I wasn't going to air-cool it!
I will be using a waterblock to cool the peltier, I just thought epoxying the coldplate and peltier together could give some °C lower as long as it wouldn't damage the pelt...

Another thing!
The way things are now it looks as if I will get a 226W for my CPU and a 172W for my GPU. The 172W is rated 24V UMax. Now can I use 12+ and 12- on each pole to create a 24V potential or would that somehow resault in lower amps or something?

I'm actually pretty unsure about how to feed them the right current and voltage :confused:
Can anyone enlighten me a little? =)

If a PSU is rated 12V = 28A does that mean that the 12V rail always feeds 28A or that it has the capasity to?
And if I want more amps AND more volts could I take a lower +voltage and a high -voltage to get the higher amps from the lower-volt-rail and still a high differens? (that's similar to my above question about getting 24V)

For example: (+3,3V (26A) and -12V) = 15,3V (26A)

Or is that bullp00? =)

The -12v line on a p/s has EXTREMELY low amperage. I mean like .8 amps on mine. DO NOT connect the +12 and -12 on you ps unless you want a blown power supply. A good article on this here: http://www.procooling.com/articles/html/linking_multiple_psu_s_as_one_.shtml

epoxing cold plates is a bad idea peltiers ask for 200ish psi clamping preasure to function correctly

Back